Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by dwhitney67 <dw...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/12 15:49:20 UTC

How can I check that client is compatible with a broker?

I support a project which employs the use of many C++ client applications
that rely on ActiveMQ CPP library to interface to the ActiveMQ broker.  Some
of the applications, which have been fielded to customer sites, were
built/compiled years ago.

In certain cases, customers want to upgrade to a newer version of the AMQ
broker (e.g. 3.5.9), but are uncertain if there existing client applications
would be compatible.

Typically, on the Release Documentation page, for say, AMQ C++ 3.8.1,
there's a note indicating the following:
NOTE: Compatible with ActiveMQ Broker versions in the 4.X and 5.X family

Whereas this is nice to know, is there any way to for client application to
check, during run-time, that the AMQ CPP library is compatible with the AMQ
broker in use?

Re: How can I check that client is compatible with a broker?

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 11/12/2013 10:30 AM, dwhitney67 wrote:
> Tim, thanks for the quick reply!  From what you have stated, it would seem
> that there's no need to check for compatibility.  One just has to run their
> application and have faith that everything will be sorted out by the client
> and broker.  This may not sit well with a queasy manager that is responsible
> for a multi-million dollar project, but it is something I guess they will
> have to live with.

At runtime there's not really much you can do, other than say that if it
didn't connect it's not compatible.  The openwire code is designed for
backwards compatibility.  If your organization wants a warm fuzzy then
you should do your own internal testing against older brokers using new
clients, that's the only true way to meet your own QA standards.

--
Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.

Re: How can I check that client is compatible with a broker?

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 11/12/2013 09:49 AM, dwhitney67 wrote:
> I support a project which employs the use of many C++ client applications
> that rely on ActiveMQ CPP library to interface to the ActiveMQ broker.  Some
> of the applications, which have been fielded to customer sites, were
> built/compiled years ago.
>
> In certain cases, customers want to upgrade to a newer version of the AMQ
> broker (e.g. 3.5.9), but are uncertain if there existing client applications
> would be compatible.
>
> Typically, on the Release Documentation page, for say, AMQ C++ 3.8.1,
> there's a note indicating the following:
> NOTE: Compatible with ActiveMQ Broker versions in the 4.X and 5.X family
>

> Whereas this is nice to know, is there any way to for client application to
> check, during run-time, that the AMQ CPP library is compatible with the AMQ
> broker in use?

The openwire protocol will negotiate to a version that both the client
and broker can speak so the older C++ clients should have to problem
talking to a newer broker version.