Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> on 2010/04/15 11:32:17 UTC

Set of released Sling bundles working together?

The current Sling release is quite old (May 2009), and my project
currently has a number of dependencies to Sling SNAPSHOT bundles (most
of them are old versions), which I want to get rid of.

I have tried two approaches for this:
- Checking out and running the Sling Launchpad. This, of course, gives
me snapshot versions of all bundles. I can then try to replace all
bundles with released versions.
- Download and run the released standalone JAR, then updating bundles
to the newest available released versions

However, both of these approaches lead to a lot of unresolved
dependencies, which I'm not able to resolve.

So, does anyone know a full set of recently released Sling bundles
that are known to work together?

--
Vidar S. Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> - http://www.idium.no
Sommerrogata 13-15, N-0255 Oslo, Norway

Re: Set of released Sling bundles working together?

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
On 23 Apr 2010, at 02:27, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Hi Vidar,
>
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> wrote:
>> ...does anyone know a full set of recently released Sling bundles
>> that are known to work together?...
>
> I'll try to break this loud silence ;-)
>
> I think starting with the launchpad from trunk, and going back to the
> last released version of each bundle is the way to go. If that leads
> to missing dependencies, as your tests seem to indicate, I'd suggest
> releasing the minimal set of bundles that fixes this problem, and then
> make a launchpad release. Once that's done, repeat at very regular
> intervals (every 2 months?) to avoid the problem in the future.
>
> I have no idea how much work "releasing the minimal set of bundles"
> represents now, maybe you could post more details about your tests so
> that we can collectively look at what's needed?

This is the config [1] that we are using, we have at some points been using entirely released jars but we frequently have to take a fixed copy of a number of snapshots and test it to get a solid build. We date stamp those snapshots and deploy to a project specific maven repo so that we can continue as the Sling trunk moves on. IIRC, since JR2, we have been using "captured" snapshots of a reasonable number of bundles.

Ian

[1] http://github.com/ieb/open-experiments/tree/master/slingtests/osgikernel/app/src/main/bundles/

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.
On 4/22/10 12:27 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> Hi Vidar,
>
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> wrote:
>> ...does anyone know a full set of recently released Sling bundles
>> that are known to work together?...
>
> I'll try to break this loud silence ;-)
>
> I think starting with the launchpad from trunk, and going back to the
> last released version of each bundle is the way to go. If that leads
> to missing dependencies, as your tests seem to indicate, I'd suggest
> releasing the minimal set of bundles that fixes this problem, and then
> make a launchpad release. Once that's done, repeat at very regular
> intervals (every 2 months?) to avoid the problem in the future.
I agree with this, but I think we need to get through Launchpad 6 before
proceeding, just so we have a good baseline.

Justin

Posted by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no>.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no> wrote:
> [...]

There's an inconcistency with these two:

> - o.a.s.sling.scripting.core 2.0.10
> - o.a.s.jcr.resource 2.0.6

Since SLING-1304 [1], the currentNode binding is no longer set in
scripting.core, but instead in jcr.resource. This means that running
these two bundles in those versions leaves me with no currentNode
binding.

PS: Justin - SLING-1304 does not have the 'version' field set - we
should probably set it, so that the issue will be listed in the
generated release notes. It seems the change affects scripting.core
2.0.10 and jcr.resource 2.0.8 - can you confirm?

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SLING-1304

Posted by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no>.
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM, Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Two comments:
>
> o.a.s.jcr.webconsole probably doesn't deserve to be in the default
> bundle list. I haven't been able to put nearly enough time into this to
> make it useful.
>
> You don't need tika unless you're running Jackrabbit 2, but I don't
> think it hurts anything to have it included.

OK, thanks!

Posted by Justin Edelson <ju...@gmail.com>.
Two comments:

Posted by Vidar Ramdal <vi...@idium.no>.