Posted to jmeter-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Jonathan Easterling <Jo...@dakotaimaging.com> on 2003/06/19 16:29:00 UTC

How would I go about implementing the following...

Hello,
	I am a fairly experienced Java programmer and would like to add in a couple new features for recording more statistics and reporting them. I wondering what  files that would need to touched:

	1. Time to first byte of data
	2. Time to last byte of data
	3. Time for socket to open
	4. Time for socket to close
	5. Time for a total page load (for all the included graphics/frames etc.)

Any comments and suggestions would be most useful.
Thanks,
Jon

Re: How would I go about implementing the following...

Posted by ms...@apache.org.
On 19 Jun 2003 at 10:29, Jonathan Easterling wrote:

> Hello,
> 	I am a fairly experienced Java programmer and would like to add in a couple new
features for recording more statistics and reporting them. I wondering what  files that would
need to touched:

> 	1. Time to first byte of data -
	Assuming you would be doing HTTP Request sampling, you'd have to modify
HTTPSampler to record this bit of data.
	You'd also have to modify SampleResult to hold that piece of data.
> 	2. Time to last byte of data
	This is currently what is recorded - the time from initial connection to receiving the last
byte of data.
> 	3. Time for socket to open
	The socket opening code is embedded pretty deep in Sun's HTTPClient.  I'm not sure
exactly how you go about doing this.  You might get an approximation by timing the "connect"
call, but I couldn't say exactly what that'd be timing.
> 	4. Time for socket to close
	Same here.

	A better solution for the long term is for JMeter to use the Apache Commons
HTTPClient, and modify it to provide detailed profiling info at every step of the way.  This could
be an enhancement to work on for JMeter 2.0.  But, there's no simple solution for you
currently, far as I know.

> 	5. Time for a total page load (for all the included graphics/frames etc.)
	Use the request and check the "download images" checkbox at the bottom.  This will
cause various binaries to load.  For frames, you might need to modify HTTPSamplerFull.java

-Mike

> Any comments and suggestions would be most useful.
> Thanks,
> Jon

Michael Stover
mstover1@apache.org