Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by André Cruz <an...@co.sapo.pt> on 2013/09/25 12:09:03 UTC

Extracting throughput-heavy Cassandra operations to different process

Hello.

I have been looking into the memory patterns of Cassandra (1.1.5), and I have a suggestion that I haven't seen discussed here.

Cassandra is configured by default with a GC tailored for pauseless operation instead of throughput, and this makes sense since it needs to answer client queries with low latency. Under "normal" operation I see no Full GCs. But when repairs/compactions are run the memory pattern changes and I see frequent Full GCs, which take too long.

Wouldn't it make sense to do repairs/compacts in a separate JVM process with a GC configured differently? In this case pauses wouldn't pose such a problem. I'm finding it difficult to configure the GC to behave correctly with and without repairs going on.

Best regards,
André