Posted to dev@pdfbox.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/21 18:53:48 UTC

Alternatives for Java Advanced Imaging (Was: License review in progress)

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 12:36 AM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> However, there are tougher issues ahead as I plan to proceed to review
> the included font and imaging parts.

One major issue I came across is related to the Java Advanced Imaging
(JAI) components included in PDFBox. The JAI Java implementation in
external/jai_*.jar and the ICC profiles in
src/main/resources/Resources/colorspace-profiles are both licensed
under the Sun Binary Code License that doesn't satisfy the Open Source
Definition and is thus can not be distributed by an Apache project.

As far as I can tell, the JAI Java library is only used by the
o.a.p.pdmodel.PDPage and o.a.p.pdmodel.graphics.xobject.PDCcitt
classes. Would it be possible for us to replace that dependency with
something else?

Alternatively we need to instruct users to explicitly download and
install the JAI library to compile and use (all features of) PDFBox.
It seems like the runtime dependency is optional, as major parts of
PDFBox work fine without JAI in the classpath.

The ICC profiles (more accurately just the CMYK profile) are used by
the o.a.p.pdmodel.graphics.color.PDDeviceCMYK class. Would it be
possible for us to get the CMYK color profile from somewhere else than
JAI? Is there some other way we could avoid using the JAI CMYK
profile?

The alternative is again to require users to explicitly download and
install the ICC profiles. It would be nicer if we didn't need to do
that.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Alternatives for Java Advanced Imaging (Was: License review in progress)

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 6:53 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As far as I can tell, the JAI Java library is only used by the
> o.a.p.pdmodel.PDPage and o.a.p.pdmodel.graphics.xobject.PDCcitt
> classes. Would it be possible for us to replace that dependency with
> something else?

See PDFBOX-381 for an attempt to replace the JAI dependency.

BR,

Jukka Zitting