Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com> on 2001/05/16 05:09:04 UTC

Restarting James

Hi,

When I start James (with debug on) I have the following:
okidz@bdg:~/jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b4$ cd bin
okidz@bdg:~/jakarta-tomcat-4.0-b4/bin$ ./catalina.sh run
Guessing CATALINA_HOME from catalina.sh to ./..
Setting CATALINA_HOME to ./..
Using CLASSPATH:
../../bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/local/jdk1.3/lib/mm.mysql201.jar:/usr/local/jdk1.3/lib/tools.jar
Using CATALINA_HOME: ./..
Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
Apache Tomcat/4.0-b4
XmlMapper: Debug level: 3
XmlMapper: Validating = true
XmlMapper: Set locator :
org.apache.crimson.parser.Parser2$DocLocator@2a0f6c
Resolve: -//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN
http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-app_2_3.dtd
XmlMapper: org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.setPublicId(-//Sun
Microsystems, Inc.//DTD Web Application 2.3//EN)
XmlMapper: new org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper

So, James uses Catalina. Tomcat does too.
But yet, Tomcat can be shutdown using a certain port number (ie: more
elegant); all you need to do is to rerun the bootstrap program and tell
it to shutdown Tomcat.

Last night, my James stopped working due to an error in the startup
script that was initiated by logrotate. The fault was not logrotate's,
but the script's. The script was written by me. The error was due to the
difficulty in getting the pid number of the root JVM runs by James. All
right, I'm not good at writing scripts. But had James behaved just like
Tomcat, then I could have been a better startup script writer.

Oki