Posted to dev@apisix.apache.org by Zexuan Luo <sp...@apache.org> on 2022/02/23 11:54:08 UTC

[DISCUSS] APISIX's V3 (2022) Roadmap

We are going to release a new major version (V3) in 2022.
As a major version, we will remove deprecated fields, bring break
changes, and most importantly, add great features.

We are going to make APISIX easier to adopt:
1. redesign documentation
2. refactor the backend of Dashboard. Now, this backend will talk with
Admin API instead of etcd.
3. refactor the API definition in Admin API, so that it can match the
backend of Dashboard.
4. support different backend as the source of configuration instead of
etcd. We have already started to do it in
https://github.com/api7/etcd-adapter
5. move some features to CP side. We will start to do CP side service
discovery in
https://github.com/api7/apisix-seed/
6. smarter way to diagnose runtime issues. Probably a builtin plugin?
7. Connect to etcd via gRPC and reduce the number of etcd connection
8. declarative configuration like what we have done in apisix-ingress

We are going to make APISIX connect to more ecosystems:
1. integrate with more Open Source projects
2. integrate with cloud vendors
3. integrate with OpenAPI spec and other API spec definitions
4. write plugin without Lua, in the traditional way (Plugin Runner) or
the modern way (Wasm)
5. native gRPC support as a client, so we can connect to further places

We are going to make APISIX proxy everything:
1. xRPC: an L4 proxy framework to provide wire-level observability of
databases & message queue & RPC.
And more L4 observability: Prometheus & logger in the L4 level.
2. support XDS so APISIX can be used as the DP of istio

Re: [DISCUSS] APISIX's V3 (2022) Roadmap

Posted by Navendu Pottekkat <na...@gmail.com>.
Anyone should be able to contribute. We can create an epic issue and
child issues so that we can complete the redesign faster and more people
can work on it.

- Navendu

Posted by Bozhong Yu <im...@gmail.com>.
Looking forward to seeing your contribution!

Anita Ihuman <an...@api7.ai> 于2022年3月22日周二 18:30写道:

Posted by Anita Ihuman <an...@api7.ai>.

Posted by Tabah Baridule <ta...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Zhiyuan Ju <ju...@apache.org>.