Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jeremy Whitlock <jw...@starprecision.com> on 2003/02/28 22:32:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Installing on Linux

Apache List,
                I'm trying to follow the directions to install Apache on
line and I need some help.  I have unzipped and untarred the
installation file.  That's where I am.  Can someone help?  I know that
this is vague but someone out there has to have done this a few times.
I'm installing on Red Hat 8.0.  Thanks,

Jeremy Whitlock --- MCP/MCSA
IT Manager for Star Precision, Inc.
Phone:  (970) 535-4795
Metro:  (303) 926-0559
Fax:  (970) 535-0780
Metro Fax:  (303) 926-0559
http://www.starprecision.com

Re: [users@httpd] Installing on Linux

Posted by Herr Christian Wolfgang Hujer <Ch...@itcqis.com>.
Hi Jeremy,

Am Freitag, 28. Februar 2003 22:42 schrieb Jeremy Whitlock:
> Charlie,
> 	Let's start like this:
> 1)  Does it matter where I install it?
Yes and no.
Basically it's your choice, but /usr/local or maybe /usr/local/apache or
/usr/local/apache2 is a preferable place depending on the version you use,
since /usr contains packages part of your system and local is for what you
compiled and installed yourself. (If you'd install Apache as package like rpm
/ deb, it might go to /usr or /usr/apache)

The default for Apache2 is /usr/local/apache2.

> 2)  If I unzip and untar in the folder
> (/usr/local/share/programs/apache) does that mean it will be installed
> there?
No, see above.

> 3)  How do I tell it where to install?
No, see above.

> 	I'm following the apache docs online to install but since it's
> my first time installing from scratch on Linux, I'm a bit hesitant.  I'm
> just trying to do a plain install.  I'll add the modules later and
> configure it for Tomcat and such later as well.  Thanks, Jeremy

Since you showed you're capable of literacy, you can read, and you can write,
I suggest you also take a look at the directory you got by untargzing the
archive and search for those hidden invisible disguised files called README
and INSTALL and read them ;-) (don't take me too serious, it's carnival)

As said above, the installation directory is determined by an option to
./configure.
Try ./configure --help to see all options.

./configure is a huge script that determines which of the required and
optional resources needed by the software you build are available and in what
versions and sets all kinds of switches and triggers required to correclty
build and install the software on your system.

make runs a Makefile, usually created by configure, to invoke the compiler,
linker and other stuff to build the software.

make install runs a certain part ("target") of the Makefile to install the
software you just compiled.

All three commands must be executed from the same directory you find the
README and INSTALL files in.

I hope I was of some help for you and could provide useful advice.

Bye
--
ITCQIS GmbH
Christian Wolfgang Hujer

RE: [users@httpd] Installing on Linux

Posted by Charlie Farinella <cf...@appropriatesolutions.com>.

Posted by "B. Covey" <bc...@wi.rr.com>.
Jeremy Whitlock wrote:

> Apache List,
>
> I’m trying to follow the directions to install Apache on line and I
> need some help. I have unzipped and untarred the installation file.
> That’s where I am. Can someone help? I know that this is vague but
> someone out there has to have done this a few times. I’m installing on
> Red Hat 8.0. Thanks,
>
> Jeremy Whitlock --- MCP/MCSA
>
> IT Manager for Star Precision, Inc.
>
> Phone: (970) 535-4795
>
> Metro: (303) 926-0559
>
> Fax: (970) 535-0780
>
> Metro Fax: (303) 926-0559
>
> http://www.starprecision.com

i also use red hat 8.0 and i opted to install apache myself. i installed
apache with php support. here is how i installed it

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache --enable-module=all or
/usr/local/apache2 for apache 2.0.xx

this configures apache with all Loadable modules you can also use
--enable-module=most. this also sets the install path to /usr/local/apache.

afte that all you do is type

#make
#make install

all commands must be run from the directory in which you extracted the
apachex.x.xx.tar.gz archive. if you would like to compile apache apache
with php and mysql support check this article out. its really easy to
follow step by step instructions.

http://www.sysbotz.com/articles/amp.htm

hope this helps