Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com> on 2007/02/13 17:58:57 UTC

JIRA changelog & roadmap

In my own work, I've found the JIRA changelog & roadmap features to be
very helpful.  It makes it very easy to see what each version actually
fixed and gives a good idea as to what the next version will fix.

Unfortunately, we just lump everything into major.minor.  So, it's not
really easy to tell what was fixed in 2.0, 2.0.1, and 2.0.2.  If we can
get some sort of lazy concensus on this, I'd like to see someone with
administrative rights ad new minor versions to the project and I'll
volunteer to update the appropriate fix versions for the issues.

--
Kevin

Kevin Menard
Servprise International, Inc.
800.832.3823 x308

Re: JIRA changelog & roadmap

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
+1

Re: JIRA changelog & roadmap

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Re: JIRA changelog & roadmap

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

RE: JIRA changelog & roadmap

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.

Re: JIRA changelog & roadmap

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Feb 17, 2007, at 11:38 AM, Kevin Menard wrote:

>  I only have "Transition Issues" and "Delete
> Issues" available to me . . .

Just tried - me too.

Andrus

RE: JIRA changelog & roadmap

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.
Actually, looking again, I may just lack permissions.

Andrus, can you bulk edit closed issues?   You can verify by clicking
the "closed" link from the main Cayenne JIRA page.  Then in the
upper-right, click the "all 592 issue(s)" next to the "Bulk Change"
label.  Select a few issues, click "Next".  Then check if you can "Edit
Issues" in the next step.  I only have "Transition Issues" and "Delete
Issues" available to me . . .

If you can actually edit issues, we may not need to get the infra guys
involved at all.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Planning Releases [WAS: JIRA changelog & roadmap]

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Feb 17, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

> On Feb 17, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Kevin Menard wrote:
>
>> Fair enough.  What I was hoping to achieve was some idea of when
>> to cut
>> a release.  Right now we sorta just wing it.  When enough issues are
>> closed someone proposes the vote and we go from there.  What might be
>> nice is knowing what open issues need to be fixed before we release
>> 2.0.3 and what can wait until a 2.0.4.
>
> From experience I am skeptical about that. We sort of tried this
> before, and it never really worked because of the volunteer nature
> of the project. The most honest thing to do would be to leave "Fix
> Version" blank, until the fix is actually ready to be committed.

That's been my experience as well with open source projects. Winging
it might not be the best for users but seems to work in practice. And
anyone who really really really wants a bug fixed can volunteer to
fix it.

Craig

> Currently we may set it to "3.0", which is vague enough to give us
> breathing space. Presetting it to 3.0M1 or anything as specific
> will be too optimistic and in most cases - misleading.
>
> Andrus

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Planning Releases [WAS: JIRA changelog & roadmap]

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
On Feb 17, 2007, at 11:59 AM, Kevin Menard wrote:

> Fair enough.  What I was hoping to achieve was some idea of when to
> cut
> a release.  Right now we sorta just wing it.  When enough issues are
> closed someone proposes the vote and we go from there.  What might be
> nice is knowing what open issues need to be fixed before we release
> 2.0.3 and what can wait until a 2.0.4.

 From experience I am skeptical about that. We sort of tried this

Posted by Kevin Menard <km...@servprise.com>.
Fair enough.  What I was hoping to achieve was some idea of when to cut
a release.  Right now we sorta just wing it.  When enough issues are
closed someone proposes the vote and we go from there.  What might be
nice is knowing what open issues need to be fixed before we release
2.0.3 and what can wait until a 2.0.4.

I suppose we could adopt the new versions for issues going forward and
that wouldn't be terrible.  Otherwise, if anyone has any ideas to fill
in that void, please pitch them.

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: JIRA changelog & roadmap