Posted to pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org> on 2012/07/13 17:47:26 UTC

Changing Python class/module layout, dropping --rename ?

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012, Andi Vajda wrote:

>> I would also like to propose a change, to allow for more flexible
>> mechanism of generating Python class names. The patch doesn't change
>> the default pylucene behaviour, but it gives people a way to replace
>> class names with patterns. I have noticed that there are more
>> same-name classes from different packages in the new lucene (and it
>> becomes worse when one has to deal with both lucene and solr).
>
> Another way to fix this is to reproduce the namespace hierarchy used in
> Lucene, following along the Java packages, something I've been dreading to
> do. Lucene just loooooves a really long deeply nested class structure.
> I'm not convinced yet it is bad enough to go down that route, though.
>
> Your proposal to use patterns may in fact yield a much more convenient
> solution. Thanks !

Rethinking this a bit, I'm prepared to change my mind on this. Your
patterned rename patch shows that we're slowly but surely reaching the limit
of the current setup that consists in throwing all wrapped classes under the
one global 'lucene' namespace.

Lucene 4.0 has seen a large number of deeply nested classes with similar
names added since 3.x. Renaming these one by one (or excluding some) doesn't
scale. Using the proposed patterned rename scales more but makes it
difficult to know what got renamed and how.
Ultimately, the more classes that are like-named, the more classes would
have instable names from one release to the next as more duplicated names
are encountered.

What if instead JCC supported the original Java namespaces all the way to
the Python inteface (still dropping the original 'org.apache' Java package
tree prefix) ?
The world-rooted style of naming Java classes isn't Pythonic but using the
second half of the package structure feels right at home in the Python
world.

JCC already re-creates the complete Java package structure in C++ as
namespaces for all the C++ code it generates, for both the JNI wrapper
classes and the C++/Python types. It's only the installation of the class
names into the Python VM that is done in the flat 'lucene' namespace.

I think it shouldn't be too hard to change the code that installs classes to
create sub-modules of the lucene module and install classes in these
submodules instead (down to however many levels are in the original).

In other words:
   - from lucene import Document
would become
   - from lucene.document import Document

One could of course also say:
   - import lucene.document.Document as whateverOneLikes

If that proposal isn't mortally flawed somewhere, I'm prepared to drop
support for --rename and replace it with this new Python class/module
layout.

Since this is being talked about in the context of a major PyLucene release,
version 4.0, and that all tests/samples have to be reworked anyway, this
backwards compat break shouldn't be too controversial, hopefully.

If it is, the old --rename could be preserved for sure, but I'd prefer
simplying the JCC interface than to accrete more to it.

What do you think ?

Andi..

Re: Changing Python class/module layout, dropping --rename ?

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 19 Jul 2012, Roman Chyla wrote:

> The script must have thought about it somehow :-) Have a great,
> undisturbed vacation!

In rev 1363436 of jcc, I implemented support for the simplest version of the
proposal via a new command line flag, off by default, called
--use_full_names.
When --use_full_names is used, the wrapped classes get installed into a
Python module hierarchy that parallels the Java one.

For example:

   >>> import lucene
   >>> lucene.initVM()
   <jcc.JCCEnv object at 0x10029c0f0>
   >>> from org.apache.lucene.document import Document
   >>> Document()
   <Document: Document<>>

Andi..

> roman
>
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 13 Jul 2012, Roman Chyla wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I was playing with the idea of creating virtual packages, attached is a
>>> working script that illustrates it. I am getting this output:
>>>
>>> Dit it work?
>>

>> No, I haven't forgotten, I'm just on vacation.
>>
>> Andi..
>>

>>> ==================
>>> from org.apache.lucene.search import SearcherFactory; print
>>> SearcherFactory
>>> <type 'SearcherFactory'>
>>> from org.apache.lucene.analysis import Analyzer as Banalyzer; print
>>> Banalyzer
>>> <type 'Analyzer'>
>>> print sys.modules['org'] <module 'org' (built-in)>
>>> print sys.modules['org.apache'] <module 'org.apache' (built-in)>
>>> print sys.modules['org.apache.lucene'] <module 'org.apache.lucene'
>>> (built-in)>
>>> print sys.modules['org.apache.lucene.search'] <module

Posted by Roman Chyla <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Chyla <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Patrick J. McNerthney" <pm...@ncircle.com>.
Just chiming in that my use of JCC to wrap the Eclipse BIRT Runtime
Engine could really use this ability.  There are a TON of classes that
should be wrapped, and many use the same set of names, but in different
packages.

Pat

--
Patrick J. McNerthney
Chief Architect

Re: Changing Python class/module layout, dropping --rename ?

Posted by Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Chyla <ro...@gmail.com>.
Hi Andi,