Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Charlie Wingate <cw...@valco-data.com> on 2008/01/25 22:00:03 UTC

Starting Tomcat with JMX support

Hi All,

            I was wondering how I would start Tomcat such that I can
actually access the Jconsole for the JVM powering it?

            I know my PID for the Java instance and I have found that
"the management agent is not enabled on this process".  How do I
"enable"? ( I have googled but all I seem to find are real old tomcat
docs and linux scripts to start tomcat.  There does not seem to be a bat
file to start tomcat that came with my Tomcat and I do not know the
syntax to start tomcat via a bin file with the JMX enabled)  Please
help.  Thank you

Charlie Wingate

Portal System Engineer

Valco Data Systems

10 Manor Parkway

Salem, NH 03079

cwingate@valco-data.com

Main Valco phone: (603) 898-2288

This message is a CONFIDENTIAL communication.  If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, or use it, and do not disclose it to others.  Please notify the sender of the delivery error by replying to this message, and then delete it from your system.  Thank you.

RE: Starting Tomcat with JMX support

Posted by Charlie Wingate <cw...@valco-data.com>.
I'm an idiot....I got it....no bat file needed.  Thank you charles.
(needed to set the option.

Charlie Wingate
cwingate@valco-data.com

The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking with which we created them. ~ Albert Einstein

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Posted by Charlie Wingate <cw...@valco-data.com>.
I found that, but am I calling that in a bat as switch after the
tomcat5.exe?

So it looks like

	Tomcat5.exe set CATALINA_OPTS="-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote \
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=%my.jmx.port% \
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false \

?????

Charlie Wingate
cwingate@valco-data.com

The significant problems we have cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking with which we created them. ~ Albert Einstein

> I was wondering how I would start Tomcat such that I can
> actually access the Jconsole for the JVM powering it?

It's in the doc:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/monitoring.html

If you're monitoring on-platform, all you need is the
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote setting.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.

computer viruses.