Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Tianqi Chen <tq...@apache.org> on 2020/08/27 17:02:20 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate Apache TVM as TLP

Dear Incubator:

Following a heated discussion with great support from our mentors,
committers and community members.
The Apache(incubating) TVM community has formally voted for graduation and
bring the case to the IPMC.

Please also see the community discussion thread[1] and voting thread[2]:

This is a formal voting thread about Apache TVM's graduation, please Vote:
[ ] +1 - Recommend graduation of Apache TVM as a TLP
[ ]  0 - I don't feel strongly about it, but don't object
[ ] -1 - Do not recommend graduation of Apache TVM because...

The VOTE will open for at least 72 hours.

------------------
The TVM project has been an Apache incubator project for nearly 1.5 year
now. In the past one and half year, the community grew healthily under the
Apache way. Some highlights include:

- A successful developer conference that we are continuing to host this year
- Great community growth, as of now, the community contains 16 PPMC
members, 31 committers, from a diverse list of organizations. We are
actively growing the list monthly.
- Active contributions: ~ 150 PRs merged each month.

The community has produced two formal apache releases. While we could also
wait until more releases. We feel that the community is mature enough that
we can push for graduation as it is, and continue to push for high quality
releases concurrently.

For reference, we also put together a maturity evaluation doc[3] under the
Apache maturity model.

Some additional note about the resolution below: the current PPMC will be
transitioned to the PMC. We have invited all the mentors in the current
PPMC who like to stay involved.

-----------------

Establish the Apache TVM Project

WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
related to compilation of machine learning models to run on a wide range of
hardware platforms...

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management Committee
(PMC), to be known as the "Apache TVM Project", be and hereby is
established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the Apache TVM Project be and hereby is responsible for the
creation and maintenance of software related to compilation of machine
learning models to run on a wide range of hardware platforms; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache TVM" be and
hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at the
direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the Apache TVM
Project, and to have primary responsibility for management of the
projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache TVM
Project; and be it further

RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby are
appointed to serve as the initial members of the Apache TVM Project:

 * Tianqi Chen <tq...@apache.org>
 * Timothy Chen <tn...@apache.org>
 * Zhi Chen <zh...@apache.org>
 * Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@apache.org>
 * Ziheng Jiang <zi...@apache.org>
 * Furkan Kamaci <ka...@apache.org>
 * YiZhi Liu <li...@apache.org>
 * Masahiro Masuda <ma...@apache.org>
 * Thierry Moreau <mo...@apache.org>
 * Jared Roesch <jr...@apache.org>
 * Henry Saputra <hs...@apache.org>
 * Haichen Shen <ha...@apache.org>
 * Markus Weimer <we...@apache.org>
 * Eddie Yan <eq...@apache.org>
 * Lianmin Zheng <lm...@apache.org>

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Tianqi Chen be appointed to
the office of Vice President, Apache TVM, to serve in accordance
with and subject to the direction of the Board of Directors and the
Bylaws of the Foundation until death, resignation, retirement, removal
or disqualification, or until a successor is appointed; and be it
further

RESOLVED, that the Apache TVM Project be and hereby is tasked with
the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator TVM
podling; and be it further

RESOLVED, that all responsibilities pertaining to the Apache Incubator
TVM  podling encumbered upon the Apache Incubator PMC are hereafter
Discharged.

- [1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r91b8f469c6a54769869bb2435b7334a28bcff885ae078ab5612dae00%40%3Cdev.tvm.apache.org%3E
- [2]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rd5b8eefe49af09a2d0913758a5e5737b3fdb9072bc0becf4a2b2c7ee%40%3Cdev.tvm.apache.org%3E
- [3]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/18nyAH-fcptVezAxPQe6H3FeTKPRkujOp1tc1YRSPLok/edit?usp=sharing
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/18nyAH-fcptVezAxPQe6H3FeTKPRkujOp1tc1YRSPLok/edit?usp=sharing>

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache TVM as TLP

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

The TVM (incubating) project is young.
However, I think the community is really well set up. I have no doubt that
the project will be successful and will follow the Apache way after
graduation. I'm particularly impressed by the vibrant community and all the
exciting contributions made (e.g., Ansor, uTVM to name a few).

Best,
Gon

On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 6:42 AM Sebastian <ss...@googlemail.com.invalid>
wrote:

> +1
>
> Best,
> Sebastian (one of the TVM mentors)

Byung-Gon Chun

Re: [VOTE] Graduate Apache TVM as TLP

Posted by Sebastian <ss...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Markus Weimer <we...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

TVM has been running basically like an Apache project before joining
the incubator, and has demonstrated that it can continue to do so.

Markus

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
I’m changing my vote to +1 (binding)

Best of luck TVM.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

I am the only one who replied on that thread. You can reply to my concerns there.

Thank you,
Dave

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@apache.org>.
Thanks Dave!

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Tianqi Chen <tq...@apache.org>.
Thanks everyone who voted, and great discussions.
Per the discussion thread, the incubator recommended for doing another
release.
As per Apache-way, we are always focused on getting consensus.

As a result, we will withdraw the vote for now and will post it again when
there has been another release.

Thanks everyone who provides helpful feedback.

TQ

Posted by Ming Wen <we...@apache.org>.
my -1 non-binding.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.