Posted to user@beehive.apache.org by Srinivas Surapaneni <sr...@comcast.net> on 2006/10/14 04:54:44 UTC

struts 2.0

Is beehive going to be merged with struts 2.0?

Thank You

Srinivas Surapaneni

Re: struts 2.0

Posted by Trond Andersen <tr...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for my late response. I've been to Brazil on vacation for some weeks now.

> It would be great to hear more from the beehive user community about
> this direction and the requirements or the features/functionality you
> (and other NetUI users) are after with the framework.
I've mentioned a few things on the wiki page, but I can repeat them here.

1. FormBean
These classes creates a lot of mapping code from dto that are
delivered by controls to form beans. They don't provide much value and
violates the DRY* principle. The validation code could be put external
which should make it possible to have the rules enforced both at the
server and on the client as JavaScript.

2. Base classes
There really shouldn't be a need for inheritance of the action
classes. We already annotate the action classes and this should really
be enough. If there is a need for refering to objects, one should
consider either using Dependency Injection (let det front controller
inject resource references) or have utility methods which can used by
static imports. The challenge with static import is testability or
have let the inheritance be optional like WebWork does it with
ActionSupport.

Another issue is testablility which I think have been mentioned as an
issue in general with Beehive. Beehive 2.0 should ensure that unit
testing is easier than today.

Would like to mention this blog which were interesting with regards to
the Struts 2.0 history:
http://www.oreillynet.com/onjava/blog/2006/10/my_history_of_struts_2.html

* http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/articles/may_04_oo1.pdf

-------- Trond

Re: struts 2.0

Posted by Carlin Rogers <ca...@gmail.com>.
Hi Srinivas,

I think Trond Andersen recently added this to the beehive
http://wiki.apache.org/beehive/WishList. It definitely interests me.
There was some discussion on Struts 2.0 in the beehive dev list about
10 months ago as people in the Struts community began prototyping the
the 2.0 effort. However, there hasn't been a lot of discussion on this
lately.

It would be great to hear more from the beehive user community about
this direction and the requirements or the features/functionality you
(and other NetUI users) are after with the framework.

Kind regards,
Carlin