Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Vernon <vw...@yahoo.com> on 2008/10/07 01:37:06 UTC

Wicket on Tomcat?

I just dip into Wicket. I notice that Wicket setup exclusively with Jetty, for example, the quick start page http://wicket.apache.org/quickstart.html. Can I create an Eclipse project for TC instead of Jetty?

Re: Wicket on Tomcat?

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
Yes - it's a regular web app, and you build it into a regular war just like
normal.  Most of my production applications are deployed with Tomcat.  But
the development with Jetty in Eclipse is very simple and convenient since
you can run the start class in debug mode, and it will start an embedded
server and eclipse will pick up HTML / class file changes.

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com

Re: Wicket on Tomcat?

Posted by Seven Corners <se...@gmail.com>.
You can deploy with Tomcat but you can't use the standard Tomcat deployment
tree; that is, something like this won't work:

.../webapps
  -  mywebapp
     - WEB-INF
        - classes
        - html
        - images
        - styles
        - scripts

You have to put the html for a given class in the same directory as the
class file.  The CSS, images and scripts can go in directories below that,
but they can't be above.  So when your warfile expands, the directory
structure should be something like this:
        - classes
           - com/mycompany/myproject/
             - myapp.class
               myclass.class
               myclass.html
               - styles
                 style.css
               - images
                 myimage.jpg

Again, your classes could be in directories below your application class,
but any resources they need must be parallel or below.

It is possible to create an Eclipse project to work with this but I didn't
have good luck with WicketPanda.  I found it got in my way, put things in
places where I couldn't use them anyway, and burned up a lot of time, so I
just create the files I need by hand.  Our deployment creates its own tomcat
tree so the Eclipse Tomcat plugin is of no help to me (it would be a
different instance of Tomcat) so I debug by attaching to the running Tomcat
process.

To debug, you have to set JPDA_SUSPEND to "y" in catalina.sh and use the
command "catalina.sh jpda start" to start up Tomcat.  Then you fire up the
Eclipse debugger, then you open up a browser and point to your website.

Good luck!