Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Matt Seibert <ms...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/09/04 21:36:27 UTC

VOTE: Move to new test/samples structure

Okay guys....

Roundtrip is now fixed.  I have 100% success on all component tests,
including the one (jaxrpchandler) that got dropped earlier today.  Here is
the state of the union:

I fell comfortable "turning this on" for RC 1.0.  Here is what that means:

ONE:
"ant -buildfile buildTest.xml functional-tests" works just as well (no
regressions) as "ant functional-tests" does today.  I would like to replace
the functional-tests target in build.xml with the following:
      <ant antfile="${axis.home}/buildTest.xml" target="functional-tests"/>
Then, when you do an "ant functional-tests" from now on, you're doing my
stuff

TWO:
"ant -buildfile buildSamples.xml compile" produces the same output as "ant
samples".  I would like to replace the guts of the samples target in build.
xml with the followin:
      <ant antfile="${axis.home}/buildSamples.xml" target="compile"/>

I would also like to do the following, for enhanced function:
ONE:
I would like to add a new target to build.xml.
      One is "componentTest" which execs, in serial, every component test,
setting up the server for each one.
      This lets you run "all components" at a component level, without
having to step into every path by hand

And I will let you know that the following limitations exist:
      1) Not ALL dependancies are known (I found at least one broken today,
which means that I need to go back and revisit all of them)
            Component level runs SHOULD work for 98% of the cases.  It may
very well be 100%.
      2) The "componentTest" run takes about 30 minutes on my machine.
This is due to the set up and teardown of the server(s).
            The "functional-tests" target (normally what you are used to
seeing) takes approx. the same time as the old method (10 mins)

Matt Seibert                                           mseibert@us.ibm.com
IBM        External:    (512) 838-3656      Internal:   678-3656

Re: Move to new test/samples structure

Posted by Matt Seibert <ms...@us.ibm.com>.
<....trimmed....>

Matt Seibert                                           mseibert@us.ibm.com
IBM        External:    (512) 838-3656      Internal:   678-3656

We should be eventually able to rework this to only run one server
instance,
but that may take some reworking.
In the meantime, what will Gump do? Does it time out?

There is a "one server instance" version (which is convieniently named
"functional-tests")

Gump should still exec "functional-tests" (since componentTest is a new
target, and therefore new functionality) which still runs in "n" time,
where "n" is approximately the time it takes now, give or take 25
seconds.....

Re: Move to new test/samples structure

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@iseran.com>.
> Roundtrip is now fixed.  I have 100% success on all component tests,
> including the one (jaxrpchandler) that got dropped earlier today.  Here is
> the state of the union:
>
> I fell comfortable "turning this on" for RC 1.0.  Here is what that means:

I'm happy with this -you've put a lot of effort in and it all seems to work
nicely on my system.

+1, with the caveat below

> And I will let you know that the following limitations exist:
>       1) Not ALL dependancies are known (I found at least one broken
today,
> which means that I need to go back and revisit all of them)

>       2) The "componentTest" run takes about 30 minutes on my machine.
> This is due to the set up and teardown of the server(s).

We should be eventually able to rework this to only run one server instance,
but that may take some reworking.
In the meantime, what will Gump do? Does it time out?

-Steve