Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michael L Brown <mi...@philips.com> on 2005/07/15 14:23:04 UTC

Simple svn move question

I'm interested in renaming a couple of branches.  Basically I want
Branch-A to become Branch-C and Branch-B to become Branch-A.

Will "svn move" let me do that?  From what I see in the book, it appears
that one can only rename stuff inside of a trunk or branch.

MB
 --
Mike Brown (Michael.L.Brown@Philips.com)
            Lotus Bloats: Michael L Brown/MSN/MS/PHILIPS

Re: Simple svn move question

Posted by Michael W Thelen <mi...@pietdepsi.com>.
Michael L Brown wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Exactly what I was hoping for.  I saw the URL -> URL example but didn't
> know for sure if there was a limitation as to how far up the tree it could
> go.

Nope, any directory is just like any other directory in the repository.
 The fact that we call some "trunk", "branches", and "tags" is just a
convention.  Subversion doesn't treat any of these directories specially
in any way.  You could rename "trunk" to "hooglefritz" if you wanted,
and Subversion would gladly do it. :-)

--
Michael W Thelen
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with

Re: Simple svn move question

Posted by Michael L Brown <mi...@philips.com>.
Thanks.

Exactly what I was hoping for.  I saw the URL -> URL example but didn't
know for sure if there was a limitation as to how far up the tree it could
go.

MB
 --
Mike Brown (Michael.L.Brown@Philips.com)
            Lotus Bloats: Michael L Brown/MSN/MS/PHILIPS
Philips/ADAC, Madison, WI
Desk: 608-288-6969  Fax: 608-298-2101
PMS direct: 164-6969
You design it, I'll build it!

Ben Collins-Sussman
07/15/2005 09:42 AM

Michael L Brown/MSN/MS/PHILIPS@PHILIPS
cc
users@subversion.tigris.org
Subject
Re: Simple svn move question
Classification

On Jul 15, 2005, at 9:23 AM, Michael L Brown wrote:

> I'm interested in renaming a couple of branches.  Basically I want
> Branch-A to become Branch-C and Branch-B to become Branch-A.
>
> Will "svn move" let me do that?  From what I see in the book, it
> appears
> that one can only rename stuff inside of a trunk or branch.

$ svn mv URL-A URL-C   -m "first rename"
$ svn mv URL-B URL-A   -m "second rename"

No working copy required, even.

Re: Simple svn move question

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Jul 15, 2005, at 9:23 AM, Michael L Brown wrote:

> I'm interested in renaming a couple of branches.  Basically I want
> Branch-A to become Branch-C and Branch-B to become Branch-A.
>
> Will "svn move" let me do that?  From what I see in the book, it
> appears
> that one can only rename stuff inside of a trunk or branch.

$ svn mv URL-A URL-C   -m "first rename"
$ svn mv URL-B URL-A   -m "second rename"

No working copy required, even.

Re: Simple svn move question

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Michael, your post appeared in an unrelated thread.  Please read:

Thank you.

-Karl