Posted to user@struts.apache.org by gr...@intellicare.com on 2005/08/24 16:04:06 UTC

Shale and Tiles integration - where oh where is shale-tiles.jar?

Hi again,

So now that I have a trivial login page working, I want to integrate tiles
in..:) I found this link:

http://jroller.com/page/dgeary?entry=shale_adds_tiles_integration

which seems pretty promising. But there's mention of a shale-tiles.jar but
no word about where to download it..? Googling for it brought no joy
either...(:( Some other place (I forget where, I've been so all over..)
said something about a standalone tiles which I did find (but that's
called tiles.core)..

So.. (sigh..) I have to ask for help again.. thanks once again in advance!
Geeta

Re: Standalone Tiles - JSP version & tld file

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/05, David Geary <sa...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Le 05-08-25 à 10:53, Craig McClanahan a écrit :

> Abstracting out the servlet API will break controllers because we're
> passing HttpServletRequest, HttpServletResponse, and ServletContext
> to the controller's perform and execute methods. Would we change
> those method signatures to take an external context instead?

Ideally, yes ... but note that changing the package name breaks
existing uses of Controller as well.  It would seem reasonable for the
Struts integration layer to keep a copy of the old Controller
interface (under the old package name), so people could continue to
run -- but when the developer switches to the standalone Tiles version
of Controller they would have to migrate to the external context
thing.

If that's too harsh, we could probably have old-style and new-style
versions of Controller in standalone Tiles (so that the framework
would no which one to call), with the limitation that old-style
controllers would not work in portlets.

> david

Craig

Re: Standalone Tiles - JSP version & tld file

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.
If you guys are ready to do the work, I'd say let's just do it, and we
can use Tiles subproject with Classic 1.3.x. We're shipping
subprojects in this release series, and we might as well just ship
them all and be done with it. Having two versions of Tiles is likely
to cause more confusion than the edge cases are worth. And, if we are
fixing other things along the way, anyone who might be within those
edge cases (if any) might be happy for the improvements.

I could refactor MailReader to use Tiles (rather than JSP:include) as
a simple test bed and resurrect/repair the Tiles demonstration
application, to exercise advanced features. As long as Tiles works the
same from the configuration-file layer, I'd say we're OK.

-Ted.

Re: Standalone Tiles - JSP version & tld file

Posted by David Geary <sa...@earthlink.net>.
Le 05-08-25 à 13:24, Craig McClanahan a écrit :

> On 8/25/05, Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com> wrote:
>
>> On Aug 25, 2005, at 1:55 PM, David Geary wrote:
>>
>>> I'm +1 for this, but should we make plugging standalone Tiles back
>>> into Struts
>>> a priority and tackle this once that's done? Perhaps it's unfounded,
>>> but I'm
>>> concerned that the current Tiles will change if we don't act
>>> quickly.
>>>

>> If Tiles needs more changes wouldn't it be easier to implement them
>> while it's still in the Sandbox than when it becomes a sub-project or
>> whatever?  Once something is published it will be more difficult to
>> change it.   So, what are the changes?  In addition to Craig's
>> idea of
>> externalizing the Servlet API I'd like to further refine the
>> ComponentDefinition class.  xmlDefinition extends ComponentDefinition
>> and does some stuff that, it seems to me, should be moved up to the
>> base level.  Possibly, the whole xmlDefinitiion package could go away
>> and be merged up.  Right now I think it's a bit of a mess b/c I
>> merged
>> some of it up but not the rest.  OTOH, that wouldn't affect users
>> unless they are subclassing DefinitionsFactory or
>> ComponentDefinitions
>> or something.

I doubt there are many folks who've done that, so I wouldn't be too
squeamish
about that refactoring. Others, of course, may disagree.

>> Either way, because Standalone Tiles has changed so much internally
>> from the integrated version we should probably be real careful about
>> how it's brought back in.  I guess we could deprecate
>> org.apache.struts.tiles and bring in org.apache.tiles.

I'm not sure what that deprecation would entail. We'd have to make
sure that
everything in o.a.s.t gets rewired to work with standalone Tiles,
right? Perhaps
we could just yank o.a.s.t entirely and replace it with o.a.t. I
doubt that many
people reference o.a.s.t in their code, with the exception of
controllers.

Does anyone have a feel for what else it'd take to unplug the current
Tiles from
Struts and plug in standalone Tiles? I haven't mucked around in Struts
proper code for quite some time, so it's a mystery to me.

david

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/05, Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com> wrote:
> On Aug 25, 2005, at 1:55 PM, David Geary wrote:
> > I'm +1 for this, but should we make plugging standalone Tiles back
> > into Struts
> > a priority and tackle this once that's done? Perhaps it's unfounded,
> > but I'm
> > concerned that the current Tiles will change if we don't act quickly.
>
> If Tiles needs more changes wouldn't it be easier to implement them
> while it's still in the Sandbox than when it becomes a sub-project or
> whatever?  Once something is published it will be more difficult to
> change it.   So, what are the changes?  In addition to Craig's idea of
> externalizing the Servlet API I'd like to further refine the
> ComponentDefinition class.  xmlDefinition extends ComponentDefinition
> and does some stuff that, it seems to me, should be moved up to the
> base level.  Possibly, the whole xmlDefinitiion package could go away
> and be merged up.  Right now I think it's a bit of a mess b/c I merged
> some of it up but not the rest.  OTOH, that wouldn't affect users
> unless they are subclassing DefinitionsFactory or ComponentDefinitions
> or something.
>
> Either way, because Standalone Tiles has changed so much internally
> from the integrated version we should probably be real careful about
> how it's brought back in.  I guess we could deprecate
> org.apache.struts.tiles and bring in org.apache.tiles.
>
> Sorry, this is kinda random.  As Craig said once, we have one shot at
> changing things while Tiles is in the sandbox.  I'd hate for us to wrap
> that up prematurely.

Sandbox or subproject doesn't really make any difference on being able
to refine APIs, until standalone Tiles does a 1.0 release.  From that
point on is where you'd want the APIs to be stable.

> Greg

Craig

Re: Standalone Tiles - JSP version & tld file

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com>.

Posted by David Geary <sa...@earthlink.net>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.
On 8/25/05, James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org> wrote:
> +1
>
> That's pretty much my experience too.
>
> So, with that said, can we move standalone to subproject level or are
> we waiting on something?

One interesting wrinkle is that "Integrated Tiles" (the version that
has org.apache.struts.tiles package names) currently occupies the
"tiles" directory name at the subproject level.  It would likely make
sense to migrate (svn move) that to some other directory name, and
adjust the Struts Classic build processes, before moving "Standalone
Tiles" up a level.

Craig

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Ted Husted <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: "Craig McClanahan" <cr...@gmail.com>

On 8/24/05, Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I believe the intent was that Standalone Tiles should rely on Servlets
>> 2.3 and JSP 1.2, as does Struts Classic. I hope that's still the case,
>> and that we just need to fix up Tiles to conform to that.

> Yes, that was definitely the intent for Standalone Tiles.

The build files have been changed to Servlet 2.3/JSP 1.2.

Looking at the URI again, I assume http://jakarta.apache.org/tiles *is* the
correct one, since the URI in the doc/userGuide file still has 'struts', and
there is nothing in build.xml that's generating the tld from the userGuide.

I'll get the documentation into tiles-core.tld before deleting the old
doc/userGuide/struts-tiles.xml and associated stylesheet, so that one day
Maven can build the Tiles website.

--
Wendy

Re: Standalone Tiles - JSP version & tld file

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: <gr...@intellicare.com> (on struts-user)

Re: Shale and Tiles integration - where oh where is shale-tiles.jar?

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com>.
gramani@intellicare.com wrote:
> root cause
> java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> org.apache.tiles.DefinitionsFactory.getDefinition(Ljava/lang/String;Ljav
> ax/servlet/ServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/ServletContext;)Lorg/apache/til
> es/ComponentDefinition;

Ok, now you're into the place where Tiles changes have been made but
Shale changes have not kept up yet.  The Tiles API has changed and David
is working on changes to the TilesViewHandler to integrate those Tiles
changes.

I just checked and David's changes have been checked into svn.  If you
could build Shale from source you'd get the changes.  Or if you could
replace TilesViewHandler with one that has the following getTile()
method you'll get past this error.  Alternatively you can wait till
tomorrow and download tonight's nightly build.

    /**
     * <p>Looks up a tile, given a name. If the tile does not exist, and the
     * <code>name</code> begins with a slash ('/'), look for a tile
     *
     * @param name The tile to lookup
     */
    private ComponentDefinition getTile(String name) {
       if (name == null)
          return null;

       ExternalContext externalContext = FacesContext.getCurrentInstance()
                                                     .getExternalContext();
       ServletRequest request =
(ServletRequest)externalContext.getRequest();
       ServletContext servletContext = (ServletContext)externalContext.
                                                             getContext();
       ComponentDefinition tile = null;
       try {
          tile = TilesUtil.getDefinition(name, request, servletContext);
       }
       catch(NoSuchDefinitionException  nsex) { /* not here */ }
       catch(DefinitionsFactoryException dex) { /* not here */ }

       if (tile == null && name.startsWith("/")) { // try again w/o slash...
          try {
             tile = TilesUtil.getDefinition(name, request, servletContext);
          }
          catch(NoSuchDefinitionException  nsdex) { /* not here */ }
          catch(DefinitionsFactoryException dfex) { /* not here */ }
       }
       return tile;
    }

Greg

Re: Shale and Tiles integration - where oh where is shale-tiles.jar?

Posted by gr...@intellicare.com.
Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com> wrote on 08/24/2005 01:50:23 PM:

> gramani@intellicare.com wrote:
> > now after a bit of fumbling, I get the following error:
> >
> > javax.servlet.ServletException: Can't get definitions factory from
> > context.
>
> Do you have TilesServlet configured in your web.xml?  If it's not
> configured the Tiles Definitions won't be loaded at startup.

Greg, I was trying just that when you note came in. So now my web.xml has
this:
<servlet>
        <servlet-name>tiles</servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>org.apache.tiles.servlets.TilesServlet</
servlet-class>

        <init-param>
                <param-name>definitions-config</param-name>
                <param-value>/WEB-INF/tiles.xml</param-value>
        </init-param>

        <load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
        </servlet>

(FacesServlet has the load-on-startup as 1)

Ok, so I guess I'm past the defintions factory not found error but I now
have this one:

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doForward(PageContextImpl.java:693)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.forward(PageContextImpl.java:660)
 org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.index_jsp:43)
 org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:322)
 org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:291)
 org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
 org.apache.shale.faces.InvokeCommand.execute(InvokeCommand.java:40)
 org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ChainBase.execute(ChainBase.java:166)

org.apache.shale.faces.ShaleApplicationFilter.doFilter(ShaleApplicationFilter.java:252)

root cause
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
org.apache.tiles.DefinitionsFactory.getDefinition(Ljava/lang/String;Ljavax/servlet/ServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/ServletContext;)Lorg/apache/tiles/ComponentDefinition;

org.apache.shale.tiles.TilesViewHandler.getTile(TilesViewHandler.java:274)

org.apache.shale.tiles.TilesViewHandler.renderView(TilesViewHandler.java:135)

org.apache.shale.faces.ShaleViewHandler.renderView(ShaleViewHandler.java:142)

org.apache.shale.clay.faces.ClayViewHandler.renderView(ClayViewHandler.java:240)

com.sun.faces.lifecycle.RenderResponsePhase.execute(RenderResponsePhase.java:87)
 com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.phase(LifecycleImpl.java:200)
 com.sun.faces.lifecycle.LifecycleImpl.render(LifecycleImpl.java:117)
 javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet.service(FacesServlet.java:198)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doForward(PageContextImpl.java:693)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.forward(PageContextImpl.java:660)
 org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.index_jsp:43)
 org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:322)
 org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:291)
 org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:241)
 org.apache.shale.faces.InvokeCommand.execute(InvokeCommand.java:40)
 org.apache.commons.chain.impl.ChainBase.execute(ChainBase.java:166)

org.apache.shale.faces.ShaleApplicationFilter.doFilter(ShaleApplicationFilter.java:252)

> Greg

Maybe it is time to follow your advice and stop working on this..?

Thanks for your time!
Geeta

Re: Shale and Tiles integration - where oh where is shale-tiles.jar?

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com>.

Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com> wrote on 08/24/2005 01:35:38 PM:

> From: <gr...@intellicare.com>
>
> > test.jsp has this:
> > <%@ taglib uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/tiles" prefix="tiles" %>
>
> Geeta, that caught my eye because it's not the right uri for Standalone
> Tiles.  It looks like there might be a problem with the build files--
the
> wrong tld is getting included in tiles-core.jar.  I'm not sure if that's

> actually causing your problem, but I'm taking that issue over to the dev

> list for discussion.

Wendy, thank you for your note! Well, tell you the truth I am not at all
sure any more where I got that url. All I know is that this url at least
exists, wheras some of the others I found while I was searching for clues
gave me a 404!

> --
> Wendy Smoak

Thanks again!
Geeta

Re: Shale and Tiles integration - where oh where is shale-tiles.jar?

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ja...@wendysmoak.com>.
From: <gr...@intellicare.com>

Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com> wrote on 08/24/2005 12:55:18 PM:

> Besides being bundled inside the example webapp, nightly builds of
> standalone tiles are available too:
>
>   http://cvs.apache.org/builds/struts/nightly/sandbox/tiles-core/

Yes, thank you Craig, I did manage to find that. After Greg's note (only
perhaps a few thousand down in your in-box) I promised myself I'd shelve
the shale-tiles integration till later. But I couldn't help myself...;) So
now after a bit of fumbling, I get the following error:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Can't get definitions factory from
context.

I googled on this error and seems like people are talking about
struts-config.xml (oh, how dated can you get..;)). I have a feeling I'm
*really* close.. but of course may be totally wrong.. (:(

fyi, my faces-config has:
<application>
    <!-- Tiles Integration -->
    <view-handler>
      org.apache.shale.tiles.TilesViewHandler
    </view-handler>
  </application>

tiles-def.xml has this:
<definition name="/login" path="/layout/layout.jsp">
      <put name="title" value="Intellicare, Inc." />
          <put name="header" value="/layout/header.jsp" />
      <put name="navigation" value="/layout/navigation.jsp" />
      <put name="content" value="/layout/content.jsp"/>
   </definition>

test.jsp has this:
<%@ taglib uri="http://jakarta.apache.org/tiles" prefix="tiles" %>

<tiles:insert definition="/login">
</tiles:insert>

and index.jsp forwards to test.faces

> Craig

Thanks yet again,
Geeta

Re: Shale and Tiles integration - where oh where is shale-tiles.jar?

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@gmail.com>.

Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com> wrote on 08/24/2005 12:01:06 PM:

> The internals of Tiles have been dramatically changed in the last week
> and just yesterday David was working on changes to the Shale
> integration.  I'm not sure if those changes are complete and checked in
> yet.  So if you can wait a couple of days integration might be back.

Greg, thanks for the info! If an announcement were made in this list about
"completion" of this and/or other features that would be really cool! :)

> Greg

Geeta

Re: Shale and Tiles integration - where oh where is shale-tiles.jar?

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com>.
gramani@intellicare.com wrote:
> I wondered about that actually. I mean I know shale is still evolving
> and
> what not and seems like the shale-tiles.jar was created only like last
> month or something, but in any case, if using it needed the tiles
> standalone jar, why wasn't it (the tiles jar) bundled in the
> struts-shale-core lib directory too..? David Geary (the chap who did the
>
> integration) surely would have needed that jar so why not include it in
> for us poor slobs too?.. Life in the bleeding edge sure isn't too
> comfortable..!

The internals of Tiles have been dramatically changed in the last week
and just yesterday David was working on changes to the Shale
integration.  I'm not sure if those changes are complete and checked in
yet.  So if you can wait a couple of days integration might be back.

When I first downloaded Shale I ran into the same problem with not being
able to find the standalone Tiles jar.  I never figured out what to do
about it.  I bet David and others found a workaround by manually copying
the jars over or something.

Greg

Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com> wrote on 08/24/2005 11:36:39 AM:

> Probably not :-)  I think the main problem is that shale and standalone
> tiles are both still evolving.  I downloaded a build of shale about a
> month ago and it's so out of date I'm not even trying to use it anymore.

Yeah. I have the August 23rd build and am wondering if I'm out of date..;)

>   The biggest issue with integration is that Standalone Tiles is still a

> sandbox project.  Because of this its future and direction are still
> undetermined.  I hope the stability needed to determine where it will
> live will be acheived very soon.  Once that's figured out integration
> with Shale shouldn't be that big a deal.
>
> It's not really an issue of code integration as much as "build"
> integration -- trying to figure out where the library is and whatnot.

I wondered about that actually. I mean I know shale is still evolving and
what not and seems like the shale-tiles.jar was created only like last
month or something, but in any case, if using it needed the tiles
standalone jar, why wasn't it (the tiles jar) bundled in the
struts-shale-core lib directory too..? David Geary (the chap who did the
integration) surely would have needed that jar so why not include it in
for us poor slobs too?.. Life in the bleeding edge sure isn't too
comfortable..!

> Greg

Geeta

Re: Shale and Tiles integration - where oh where is shale-tiles.jar?

Posted by Greg Reddin <gr...@fnf.com>.

Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net> wrote on 08/24/2005 11:30:55 AM:

> gramani@intellicare.com wrote the following on 8/24/2005 10:45 AM:
>
> > Btw, if anyone has successfully got tiles to work with shale, could
you
> > please share your code? If I manage to do this I shall write this up
so it
> > may help soembody else.. I don't think Tiles integration ought to be
> > difficult, right..?.. [..falls over laughing..]
>
> I'm finding it difficult, so please I'd love to see your code when
> you're done.

*Not* what i was hoping to hear..! But sure, I'll let you know what, if
anything, I can get to work!

> --
> Rick

Geeta

Re: Shale and Tiles integration - where oh where is shale-tiles.jar?

Posted by Rick Reumann <st...@reumann.net>.
gramani@intellicare.com wrote the following on 8/24/2005 10:45 AM:

> Btw, if anyone has successfully got tiles to work with shale, could you
> please share your code? If I manage to do this I shall write this up so it
> may help soembody else.. I don't think Tiles integration ought to be
> difficult, right..?.. [..falls over laughing..]

I'm finding it difficult, so please I'd love to see your code when
you're done.

--
Rick

Re: Shale and Tiles integration - where oh where is shale-tiles.jar?

Posted by gr...@intellicare.com.
Hi Martin, that's just the tiles.jar, right? I needed the
shale-tiles.jar.. which I found within struts-shale-core-library/lib in
the latest cvs download.. (I'm not being ambitious just yet - so I'm not
building from source, just trying to use the jar files will do for
now..;))

Btw, in case anybody else is struggling with this too..
David Geary says in his web log:
http://jroller.com/page/dgeary?entry=shale_adds_tiles_integration that the
shale-tiles.jar "has a META-INF/web.xml that declares a Tiles view
handler. ".. But I think he means to say faces-config.xml (not web.xml)..
Anyway, I have added that notation about the TilesViewHandler into my
faces-config.xml and who knows, maybe something will work..;)

"Martin Gainty" <mg...@hotmail.com> wrote on 08/24/2005 10:31:48 AM:

> Geeta
> Did you try downloading from Cedric DuMoulins site?
> http://www.lifl.fr/~dumoulin/tiles/doc/download.html
> Martin-
shale-tiles.jar?

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
I did'nt realise he wanted the nightly build
I was 'error'ing on the side of the released (builds without errors and has
passed unit, integration and regression test) package
Caveat emptor

Martin

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Geeta
Did you try downloading from Cedric DuMoulins site?
http://www.lifl.fr/~dumoulin/tiles/doc/download.html
Martin-
> So now that I have a trivial login page working, I want to integrate tiles
> in..:) I found this link:
>
> http://jroller.com/page/dgeary?entry=shale_adds_tiles_integration
>
> which seems pretty promising. But there's mention of a shale-tiles.jar but
> no word about where to download it..? Googling for it brought no joy
> either...(:( Some other place (I forget where, I've been so all over..)
> said something about a standalone tiles which I did find (but that's
> called tiles.core)..
>
> So.. (sigh..) I have to ask for help again.. thanks once again in advance!
> Geeta

Re: Shale and Tiles integration - where oh where is shale-tiles.jar?

Posted by gr...@intellicare.com.
oops, sorry, please ignore this note.. My bad.. The jar is bundled right
into the struts-shale core library in the latest build..).  Sorry for
wasting your time.
Geeta