Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by sh...@e-z.net on 2012/08/26 08:10:03 UTC

Product Release Planning Info

Greetings Xalan Developers;

As we prepare for new project releases for 'C' and 'Java' projects,
there are some infrastructure designs of which we should be aware.

Infrastructure has several svnpubsub interfaces to subversion
repositories.  One is for publishing updates to Apache project
websites.  Another is for publishing software release distributions.

XALAN TLP WEBSITE

Our Xalan Top-level Website is published by making subversion
commits to:

   {SVN}/xalan/site/docs/xalan/   - Our TLP website "svnpubsub" root

   {SVN}/xalan/site/docs/xalan/xalan-j/  Our XALAN-J Project website

   {SVN}/xalan/site/docs/xalan/xalan-c/  Our XALAN-C Project website

Note: The old website pages previously hosted at xml.apache.org
are now in svnpubsub as:

   {SVN}/xalan/site/docs/xalan/old/xalan-c/
   {SVN}/xalan/site/docs/xalan/old/xalan-j/

XALAN RELEASE DISTRIBUTIONS

The old distributions are currently under the Apache XML project.
When looking at one of the major mirror sites "osuosl" our old
projects release distributions can be found as:

   "apache.osuosl.org/xml/xalan-c/
       binaries/
       docs/
       source/
   "apache.osusol.org/xml/xalan-j/
       binaries/
       source/
   "apache.osuosl.org/xml/xerces-c/
       binaries/
       source/
   "apache.osuosl.org/xml/xerces-j/
       binaries/
       source/
   "apache.osuosl.org/xml/xerces-p/
       binaries/
       source/

These old distributions are also available on host minotaur as:

   /x1/dist/xml/xalan-c/
       binaries/
       docs/
       source/
   /x1/dist/xml/xalan-j/
       binaries/
       source/
   /x1/dist/xml/xerces-c/
       binaries/
       source/
   /x1/dist/xml/xerces-j/
       binaries/
       source/
   /x1/dist/xml/xerces-p/
       binaries/
       source/

The current xerces (parser) distributions on host minotaur are:

   /x1/dist/xerces/
       c/
       j/
       p/
       xml-commons/

Our xalan (xslt) project has no TLP distribution directory on host minotaur.

   /x1/dist/xalan/  -- does not exist

Apache INFRA now has "svnpubsub" available for $TLP: project releases
hosted in the subversion repository.

We have NOT YET declared a subversion tree for hosting distributions.

   {SVN}/xalan/dist/    - Recommended home for Xalan distributions.

For example - software distribution mirror "apache.osuosl.org/" is a
primary mirror for all Apache $TLP: projects.  The svnpubsub mapping
of our designated subversion repository would become:

   {SVN}/xalan/dist/  -->  "apache.osuosl.org/xalan/"

Task:  Before registering a dist svnpubsub tree to INFRA, we should
prepare our subversion area with some README files so that the mirror
site users can receive notice of new release distribution plans.

After our distribution svnpubsub tree is registered with INFRA, the
{SVN}/xalan/dist/ will become the official distribution repository
for project releases.  Our old distributions on the XML project should
remain available until /x1/dist/xml/ projects disappear.

Publishing release distributions has changed from placing content
into a distribution directory on host=minotaur and is being replaced
by using "svnpubsub" architecture.

I will discuss wiki.apache.org pages on another post.

Sincerely,
Steven J. Hathaway
Xalan Documentation Project