Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Oki DZ <ok...@bdg.pindad.com> on 2001/05/16 09:23:46 UTC

Re: proposal: add SMTP AUTH support was: I WANT MY USERS TO BE ABLE TO SEND MAIL (SIGH)

Harmeet Bedi wrote:

> I think James would be richer if it had SMTP AUTH support. It seems to be a
> well supported extension and could be useful.
> The RFC is at http://www.innosoft.com/rfc/rfc2554.html
> Some industry support for this at
> http://members.elysium.pl/brush/smtp-auth/client.html and
> http://members.elysium.pl/brush/smtp-auth/server.html
>
> What do you think ?

I haven't visited those links; but I think, it would be great. We can
make sure that the sender addresses are indeed real (not bogus).

BTW, what about the communications among servers. AFAIK, for them to
communicate on port 25 wouldn't need any authentication. It should be
implemented on mailet, right?

> Alec, would you be willing to contribute your SMTP Auth code for this under
> Apache License ?

Yes, Alec please...

Oki