Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by ashonline <as...@mac.com> on 2017/05/19 13:02:47 UTC

Encrypted keystore password

Hi,

I'm in the process of configuring karaf to use SSL communication and have
therefore provided the password to the keystore in the org.ops4j.pax.web.cfg
file:

org.ops4j.pax.web.ssl.keypassword=mypwd

I can't however find anything in the documentation that tells me how to
encrypt the password, for example by surrounding the password digest with
{CRYPT} markers.

Please advise whether or not this encryption capability exists or, if not,
what we can do as a workaround? It won't be acceptable for our clients to
have to type in their password in plain text for their keystore that they
will provide to our karaf based framework.

Re: Encrypted keystore password

Posted by ashonline <as...@mac.com>.
Hi Freeman,

Thanks for your response, this is excellent news. We are currently using
ServiceMix 7.0.0, which is configured with Karaf 4.0.8, so for now we won't
be able to use the solution. However I think it will be acceptable for us to
wait for a future release of ServiceMix with the encryption capabilities.

Thanks once again.

- Ash

Re: Encrypted keystore password

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Yes, provided you are using Karaf 4.1.x, which in turn uses the pax.web 6.0.x.

Basically we use jasypt to encrypt the sensitive string, hence introduce several more properties for pax web pid, such as enc.masterpassword, enc.algorithm, enc.enabled, enc.prefix, enc.suffix. Moreover, you can configure the masterpassword for the jasypt encryptor with env variable or system property, other configuration for decryptor all have default values.

Please take a look at PAXWEB-1021[1] to get more details.

[1]https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/PAXWEB-1021 <https://ops4j1.jira.com/browse/PAXWEB-1021>

Cheers
Freeman(Yue) Fang

Red Hat, Inc.