Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/25 17:22:04 UTC

Trunk breakage...

Hi Enrique,

I just svn up the trunk this morning (Paris time), and tried to build
it, but got some error in integration tests
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-943)

I have commented to failing test :
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=541686

Would you please check what is going wrong with it? I have tested the
trunk on mu linux laptop and on my mac OSX, and Alex is experiencing
the same breakage.

Did you run mvn -Dintegration test before committing? If so, do you
use a special configuration we don't use ? (Like W$ or JDK 1.6)

Thanks to give us some feedback about this pb. (I didn't had time to
analyze the reason for this failure, my friday was quite frantic ...)

Emmanuel
Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Trunk breakage...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.
Enrique Rodriguez a écrit :

>> I have commented to failing test :
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&rev=541686
>

> Thanks for opening the JIRA issue.  Commenting out the test was the
> right response.

At least, I was able to run the test :)

>> Would you please check what is going wrong with it? I have tested the
>> trunk on mu linux laptop and on my mac OSX, and Alex is experiencing
>> the same breakage.
>

> This is the issue Alex and I discussed after his review of the SASL
> branch.  The Sun Kerberos provider doesn't allow you to change the
> port (in code), so the integration test needs to bind to port 88
> (Kerberos), which it can't do unless you're root.  We discussed some
> solutions but I didn't get a chance to implement one before the merge.
>
> We discussed writing a Kerberos client library, for a number of
> reasons, one of which is to allow port selection like we do with the
> LDAP integration tests.  I think the only solution in the short term
> is to set up a profile for this test.

Oh, I remember reading such a thread, but didn't understood how it could
be related to the problem I had this morning... Now, it make sense.

>> Did you run mvn -Dintegration test before committing? If so, do you
>> use a special configuration we don't use ? (Like W$ or JDK 1.6)
>

> I ran these tests as root.

Ok, it explain the 'why'. As running the integ test as root is not an
option, I guess that a profile is mandatory. May be checking that the
user is root at the beginning of the test could help, or at least that
he had enough priviledge to open a port on 88.

Hopefully, you will come with a correct solution sooner or later !

Thanks for the explanaition, Enrique, I was afraid that commenting this
test could weaken the server (integ test are good) buy now I see this
will be a temporary solution. Anyway, the JIRA will remain until we fix
it, which is why JIRA are good for ;)

Emmanuel

Re: Trunk breakage...

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.
On 5/26/07, Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org> wrote:
> Yep and it looks like Enrique is working on the Kerberos/Changepw client
> which will be
> an incredible asset to have for multiple projects.  This will fix numerous
> issues that we
> have in both ADS testing for Kerberos/Changepw and for Triplesec
> functionality.

There was an issue already opened for this:

Enrique

Re: Trunk breakage...

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
Yep and it looks like Enrique is working on the Kerberos/Changepw client
which will be
an incredible asset to have for multiple projects.  This will fix numerous
issues that we
have in both ADS testing for Kerberos/Changepw and for Triplesec
functionality.

Alex

Re: Trunk breakage...

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@apache.org>.

Re: Trunk breakage...

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ak...@apache.org>.
On 5/25/07, Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We discussed writing a Kerberos client library, for a number of
> reasons, one of which is to allow port selection like we do with the
> LDAP integration tests.  I think the only solution in the short term
> is to set up a profile for this test.

I would rather comment out the test because if in a profile it will still
fail when the profile is activated by a non-root user.  The best solution

Re: Trunk breakage...

Posted by Enrique Rodriguez <en...@gmail.com>.