Posted to dev@parquet.apache.org by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@apache.org> on 2018/08/22 12:48:46 UTC

PARQUET-1399: Move parquet-mr related code from parquet-format

Hi,

I've just created this issue and worked on it. Created the PR
https://github.com/apache/parquet-mr/pull/517
I'd like to keep the history of the files so the PR contains a merge commit
and then another one to have it working as a submodule. What do you think?

If you guys agree with the approach, we would also like to deprecate all
the classes in parquet-format before creating a minor release. (We can
remove them in the next release.)

I've just realized that merge commit in github is "not enabled for this
repository". Any suggestions how we can workaround this?

Thanks a lot,
Gabor

Re: PARQUET-1399: Move parquet-mr related code from parquet-format

Posted by Gabor Szadovszky <ga...@apache.org>.
Thanks a lot, Uwe. I'll do it manually after my change is working.

But it is not... :(
So, "mvn clean install" works just fine, every test passes. While "mvn
clean install -DskipTests && mvn test" fails. That's why Travis fails as
well.
One stacktrace I've investigated (BTW reproducible in my IDE) was made the
test ProtoInputOutputFormatTest in parquet-protobuf fail. The root cause
was a NoClassDefFoundError for the class
org.apache.thrift.scheme.StandardScheme.
I am not sure what's happening. I think, the root cause is around
transitive dependencies. By diffing "mvn dependency:tree" before and after
my modification I can see that the modules referred to "parquet-format" had
no dependency to libthrift but now they have via the new module
"parquet-format-structures". As far as I can understand shade plugin shall
rewrite the pom so the shaded dependencies would not be promoted as
transitive dependencies.
Do you guys have any idea what the problem is?

Thanks a lot,
Gabor

Posted by "Uwe L. Korn" <uw...@xhochy.com>.
Hello Gabor