Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Evelynn <ev...@earthlink.net> on 2003/03/07 02:30:30 UTC

[DBCP] Connections Die

Reference: Tomcat 4.1.18
My dbcp goes dead at times.
My application on Tomcat is on one box and my DB2 database is on another
box.  If the network goes down for a brief period or the database is
bounced, my dbcp no longer works and I receive an SQLException from my
application running on Tomcat.

So, here is my fix to refresh the connection pool.  When ever I receive an
SQLException, I run the following once:

import javax.sql.DataSource;
import org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSource;
BasicDataSource bds = (BasicDataSource)myDataSource;
bds.close();

I tested this and it seems to solve the problem.    The only thing that I do
not like about this solution is that the java code in my app now includes a
reference to the DBCP java class.  But that's OK.  I can live with that.
My question is, is this solution OK or is there a better recommendation to
refresh the dbcp?

Thanks
Eve