Posted to ojb-dev@db.apache.org by Brian McCallister <mc...@forthillcompany.com> on 2004/02/15 19:21:28 UTC

[RT] JDO-lite

I would like consider building a JDO-like interface on top of the OTM.

I say JDO-like as it won't support the full spec -- just everything
which does not require bytecode enhancement. From my initial foray this
would appear to be everything except allowing casts to
PersistenceCapable.

 From the client perspective, as long as client code doesn't use that
cast, the JDO-lite API will behave exactly like a full JDO API. Code
which runs against the JDORI or Kodo will run against OJB JDO-lite
equally well. The configuration will be different (no .jdo files, no
bytecode enhancement step) but the java code will be the same.

The main benefits to this are that it provides the useful parts of JDO
(the standard client API) without adding any additional configuration
or build requirements on top of existing OJB configs. It will be built
directly on top of the OTM so that OTM queries/transactions/etc will be
100% compatible so multiple API's can be used in the same app.

-Brian

ps: the RT is a cocoon-ism for a Random Thought thread