Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Brian Culver <br...@codecountry.com> on 2004/03/01 23:26:02 UTC

Problem: Retrieving Parsed Node Value

I have a problem getting the value of a node.  I am using the following
code to iterate through an XML file

import javax.net.ssl.HttpsURLConnection;
import java.net.*;
import java.io.*;
import org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser;
import org.w3c.dom.*;

<snip>

if (node.hasChildNodes()) { //#document
  System.out.println(node.getNodeName());
  NodeList children = node.getChildNodes(); //Search

  for (int j = 0; j < children.getLength(); j++) {
    System.out.println(children.item(j).getNodeName() +
                                ": " + children.item(j).getNodeValue());
  }
}

The XML file looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<Search>
<Count>10</Count>
<HasMoreItems>1</HasMoreItems>
<GrandTotal>15</GrandTotal>
<PageNumber>1</PageNumber>
</Search>

And my output looks somewhat like:

#text:
Count: null
#text:
HasMoreItems: null
#text:
GrandTotal: null
#text:
PageNumber: null
#text:

My problem is that I cannot get the values ... for example, GrandTotal
has a value of 15 ... but I get null instead.

Any ideas or suggestions

Thank you,

Brian Culver

Re: Problem: Retrieving Parsed Node Value

Posted by Neil Delima <nd...@ca.ibm.com>.

Hi Brian,

For Element nodes, getNodeValue returns null [1].  You will need to invoke
getNodeValue on the Element node's Text child.

Neil.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/PR-DOM-Level-3-Core-20040205/core.html#ID-F68D080

             Brian Culver
             <brian@codecountr
             y.com>                                                     To
                                       xerces-j-user@xml.apache.org
             03/01/2004 05:26                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Problem: Retrieving Parsed Node
             Please respond to         Value