Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com> on 2016/08/26 15:33:18 UTC

Github pull requests

Hi all,

Historically we've insisted that people go through the process of creating
a Jira issue and attaching a patch or linking a branch to demonstrate
intent-to-contribute and to make sure we have a unified record of changes
in Jira.

But I understand that other Apache projects are now recognizing a github
pull request as intent-to-contribute [1] and some are even making github
the official repo, with an Apache mirror, rather than the other way
around.  (Maybe this is required to accept pull requests, I am not sure.)

Should we revisit our policy here?

[1] e.g. https://github.com/apache/spark/pulls?q=is%3Apr+is%3Aclosed

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Russell Spitzer <ru...@gmail.com>.
This is one of my favorite aspects of how contributions to Spark work. This
also makes it easier to have automated testing on new branches
automatically occurring.

-Russ

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Aleksey Yeschenko <al...@apache.org>.
Also, Github’s ability to modify files ‘in-place’ and create pull requests from those changes is
extremely important for our Docs progress. Now that we have proper in-tree documentation,
this would lower the barrier for Docs writers tremendously.

--
AY

On 26 August 2016 at 17:15:54, Jake Luciani (jakers@gmail.com) wrote:

Jake could you show an example issue and how the pipeline works?

http://twitter.com/tjake

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
>> I think it goes the other way around. When you push to ASF git with the
right commit message then the integration from that side closes the pull
request.

Yes. This is how apache-gossip is setup. Someone makes a JIRA and they
include a link to there branch and tell me they are done. We review

git checkout apache master
git pull otherperson jira-123
git push origin master

Ticket on github is "magically" closed.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Jeff Jirsa <je...@crowdstrike.com>.

I guess someone would have to open 3 different PRs (say, 2.2, 3.0, trunk), and the committer would have 3 different commit messages to close each of them?

Anyone have examples of projects with branching strategies similar to ours using github pull requests?

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by "J. D. Jordan" <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by DuyHai Doan <do...@gmail.com>.
Just a question before moving forward, do we want to trigger CI build for
each proposed pull request on Github ? And if yes, on which infra ?

I'm asking because opening PR to the crowd is a good thing but we may have
tons of PRs coming and the infra may be heavily loaded.

Apache Zeppelin project is using Travis as CI infra and there are
constantly errors related to resource shortage (not enough CPU/memory
available)

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Nate McCall <na...@thelastpickle.com>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Nate McCall <na...@thelastpickle.com>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
It sounds like we have consensus that enabling pull requests would be a
Very Good Thing.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Nate McCall <na...@thelastpickle.com>.
+1

--
-----------------

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
We still include both processes in our how to contribute, but github is the
new preferred method (thanks for the reminder to update that doc)

https://github.com/apache/thrift/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

and an example of the cross commenting: THRIFT-3876 with matching PR 1045

https://github.com/apache/thrift/pull/1045

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Jake Luciani <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Ben Coverston <be...@datastax.com>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.
@Jeremiah, makes sense to send to commits@

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Jeremiah D Jordan <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Andres de la Peña <ad...@stratio.com>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.
+1 to officially supporting GitHub PRs.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Jeff Beck <be...@gmail.com>.
I would love to be able to send PRs, there have a been a few minor
improvements I wanted to submit that are sitting in local branches for me
for when I have time to really learn how to submit a patch where PRs are
much more approachable now.

Jeff

Re: Github pull requests

Posted by Aleksey Yeschenko <al...@apache.org>.