Posted to slide-dev@jakarta.apache.org by "Britton, Colin" <cb...@metatomix.com> on 2001/12/10 17:31:48 UTC

JDBC Stores

Sorry for the cross post sent this to the users list instead of Dev.
Thats what auto-complete in the email client does for you!

I have been looking at the JDBC stores and wanted to check that my
understanding was correct of a couple of issues.

When you use a given store it creates a transaction with enlist(). This
uses the service name for the store (for example "jdbc") and takes
exclusive use. This means that if two 'puts' for example happen at the
same time then when the second 'put' tries to enlist it loops for 4
seconds in the enlist method and then throws an exception if it cannot
get access to the store. We have multiple processes trying to add data
at the same time and some of these files take longer than 4 seconds to
add.

Have I understood this correctly? How can two clients both do put's at
the same time?

rgds
CB

Re: JDBC Stores

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
>Have I understood this correctly? How can two clients both do put's at
>the same time?

All that you said is correct. What's needed are stores which would support a
higher level of concurrency (but obviously that's not easy to do).
There are plans for a DataSource based JDBC stores which should help a lot.

Remy