Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Wang Fei <py...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/28 15:35:00 UTC

How do you work around the 4096 VLANs limitation?

It is understood that the maximum number of VLAN is 4096 in advanced zone.
and it is very common one account can own 3-4 VLANs in practice. maybe
more. therefore hundreds of account can be only supported in one zone.  how
you beyond this limitation? To add more zones?

----
best regards

Re: How do you work around the 4096 VLANs limitation?

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 10:35 AM, Wang Fei <py...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It is understood that the maximum number of VLAN is 4096 in advanced zone.
> and it is very common one account can own 3-4 VLANs in practice. maybe
> more. therefore hundreds of account can be only supported in one zone.  how
> you beyond this limitation? To add more zones?

More zones is one way.
Marcus wrote QinQ support (I think it's KVM only) , which is another
potential solution.
You can also get away from VLANs and use pther isolation methods like
security groups or some of the SDN solutions (Nicira NVP, GRE tunnels,
etc)

Re: How do you work around the 4096 VLANs limitation?

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:02:26PM -0400, Dave Dunaway wrote:
> I know my work place would be certainly interested in VXLAN support.
>
> The truth is, depending on your network gear... you may not come close to
> being able to use 4096 VLAN's (which is itself even can be a lie, since you
> need the better top half of that range with Cisco gear for cisco'ish
> things) ... and then never mind if you use stuff like UCS which only
> supports 1024 VLAN's last I checked.
>
> Go Cisco!

There's a related scaling limit that's sometimes called "vlan port
count" that matters as well, which, depending on your VM density, can
drastically effect the scaling of a zone that uses VLAN isolation. Other
vendors have similar constraints, and some are actually tied to a
specific chipset that many switch vendors use.

Posted by Dave Dunaway <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcel Keller <ma...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
If there is interest, the GRE controller implementation can be easily be
extended to KVM and "productized"
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/mg-MAQ is the feature
And
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/nA-MAQ are some unimplemented