Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com> on 2021/12/15 23:15:06 UTC

[VOTE] Release 2.35.0, release candidate #5

Hi everyone,

Please review and vote on the release candidate #5 for the version 2.35.0,
as follows:
[ ] +1, Approve the release
[ ] -1, Do not approve the release (please provide specific comments)

Reviewers are encouraged to test their own use cases with the release
candidate, and vote +1 if no issues are found.

The complete staging area is available for your review, which includes:
* JIRA release notes [1],
* the official Apache source release to be deployed to dist.apache.org [2],
which is signed with the key with fingerprint
A182A23D3AA31B4874BE23FAE0256093E9D4DB9A [3],
* all artifacts to be deployed to the Maven Central Repository [4],
* source code tag "v2.35.0-RC5" [5],
* website pull request listing the release [6], the blog post [6], and
publishing the API reference manual [7].
* Java artifacts were built with Gradle 6.9.1 and Oracle JDK 1.8.0_201.
* Python artifacts are deployed along with the source release to the
dist.apache.org [2] and PyPI[8].
* Validation sheet with a tab for 2.35.0 release to help with validation
[9].
* Docker images published to Docker Hub [10].

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours. It is adopted by majority
approval, with at least 3 PMC affirmative votes.

For guidelines on how to try the release in your projects, check out our
blog post at https://beam.apache.org/blog/validate-beam-release/.

Thanks,
Valentyn

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12319527&version=12350406

[2] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/beam/2.35.0/
[3] https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/beam/KEYS
[4] https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachebeam-1243/
[5] https://github.com/apache/beam/tree/v2.35.0-RC5
[7] https://github.com/apache/beam-site/pull/621
[8] https://pypi.org/project/apache-beam/2.35.0rc5/
[9]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qk-N5vjXvbcEk68GjbkSZTR8AGqyNUM-oLFo_ZXBpJw/edit#gid=.
..
[10] https://hub.docker.com/search?q=apache%2Fbeam&type=image

Re: [VOTE] Release 2.35.0, release candidate #5

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.
On Fri, Dec 24, 2021 at 8:00 AM Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>
wrote:

> Update:
>
> I was following current release validation instructions at
> https://beam.apache.org/contribute/release-guide/#run-validation-tests.
>
> Existing validation scripts are very brittle and some tests don't pass,
> specifically I wasn't able to run streaming mobile gaming examples using
> those instructions for Java and Python. From what I can tell, the errors
> are not new, so not blocking the release, but the current state of this
> infra adds significant slowdowns. Relevant issues:
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-12793 (leaderboard examples
> for Java)
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-9150  (leaderboard examples
> for Python)
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-13054 (release validation
> script require gnome-terminal)
>
> Also I was not able to run XLang suites through scripts but they seem to
> have no problems in previous RCs, and RC changes are minimal.

To close the loop here, I opened
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-13579  to take another look at
XLang scenario verification scripts.

Posted by Valentyn Tymofieiev <va...@google.com>.