Posted to users@felix.apache.org by "ffrench.mathilde@gmail.com" <ff...@gmail.com> on 2013/09/12 07:33:51 UTC

Apache Felix and OSGI R5

Hello,

I would like to get some news about OSGI R5 implementation in Apache
Felix and Apache Felix iPojo as I just see a mail archived thread about
that here :

http://www.mail-archive.com/users@felix.apache.org/msg13638.html

Do you now have "some people" and roadmap on that subject ?

Thank you !

Re: Apache Felix and OSGI R5

Posted by "ffrench.mathilde@gmail.com" <ff...@gmail.com>.
On 12/09/2013 09:27, Felix Meschberger wrote:
> Hi
>
> Am 12.09.2013 um 09:10 schrieb ffrench.mathilde@gmail.com:
>
>> Yes it make sense. We will continue this investigation with iPojo
>> community.
> Excellent. You reach them here on this list, too ;-)
Yep but I was thinking on writting some JIRA issue to be more precise or
maybe we can continue with technical stuff in the user mailing list ?
Anyway I just saw another thread with same problem so I guess this is
the good one to follow ;)

>> Anyway good to know that OSGi API is fully backwards compatible... But
>> I'm curious : is that one of the reasons why Felix osgi version is still
>> 4.2 in the svn trunk ? Are there other points which explain that version
>> is still 4.2 in the felix trunk ?
> What specific project are you referring to ?
>
> Unlike other open-source projects, the different Apache Felix subprojects are pretty much independent of each other (or have limited dependencies like for example the main project depending on and using the framework project).
>
> So, some projects may refer to OSGi 4.2 while other refer to OSGi 5 depending on the actual requirements of these projects.
Well I'm discovering the felix trunk and I did a very quick grep on
<osgi.version> and I saw only 4.2 everywhere... And as you say I was
wrong to believe there was only 4.2 from my grep ;)

Thank you

Re: Apache Felix and OSGI R5

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roland,

See here for some instructions on how I got it working at the time:
http://coderthoughts.blogspot.com/2013/04/osgi-subsystems.html

Cheers,

David

Re: Apache Felix and OSGI R5

Re: Apache Felix and OSGI R5

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
On 9 October 2013 16:48, Richard S. Hall <he...@ungoverned.org> wrote:
> On 10/9/13 11:23 , CLEMENT Jean-Philippe wrote:
>>
>> I guess this is not the issue. From my understanding, Aries in itself is
>> already too heavy for him and he would like the "Subsystems specification
>> and Common Namespaces Specification" implementation alone.
>

> Ah. I would have assumed that the implementation from Aries would be usable
> independently from anything else in Aries...if not, then I see.

When I looked at it last the implementation in Aries had the following
bundles/dependencies:

org.apache.aries.subsystem.api_1.0.0
org.apache.aries.subsystem.core_1.0.0
org.apache.aries.subsystem.obr_1.0.0
org.apache.aries.application.api_1.0.0
org.apache.aries.application.modeller_1.0.0
org.apache.aries.application.utils_1.0.0
org.apache.aries.blueprint_1.1.0
org.apache.aries.proxy_1.0.1
org.apache.aries.util_1.1.0
org.apache.felix.bundlerepository_1.6.6
org.apache.felix.resolver_1.0.0
org.eclipse.equinox.coordinator_1.1.0.v20120522-1841
org.eclipse.equinox.region_1.1.0.v20120522-1841
slf4j.api_1.7.5
slf4j.simple_1.7.5

So while it has a number of dependencies, it certainly doesn't depend
on everything in Aries...

Cheers,

David

Re: Apache Felix and OSGI R5

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.
On 10/9/13 11:23 , CLEMENT Jean-Philippe wrote:
> I guess this is not the issue. From my understanding, Aries in itself is already too heavy for him and he would like the "Subsystems specification and Common Namespaces Specification" implementation alone.

Ah. I would have assumed that the implementation from Aries would be
usable independently from anything else in Aries...if not, then I see.

-> richard

RE: Apache Felix and OSGI R5

Posted by CLEMENT Jean-Philippe <je...@fr.thalesgroup.com>.

Re: Apache Felix and OSGI R5

Posted by "Richard S. Hall" <he...@ungoverned.org>.

Re: Apache Felix and OSGI R5

Re: Apache Felix and OSGI R5

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roland,

There is a Subsystems spec implementation at Apache Aries [1]. I wrote
a little getting started blog post about it a few months back [2].

Cheers,

David

[1] http://aries.apache.org
[2] http://coderthoughts.blogspot.ie/2013/04/osgi-subsystems.html