Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Jatin S Bhavra <jb...@gmail.com> on 2017/08/10 05:16:04 UTC

Continuous latency in acknowledgment when leader broker gets down

HI,

I am running Kafka locally in my MAC machine with single node and 3
brokers, each running in different port.

I was trying the Kafka PoC with having multiple brokers up and running and
sending messages to Kafka and in between failing some nodes (leader nodes).

There are some observations as below:

   - huge latency in getting acknowledgment back from Kafka once any leader
   broker is down. Also, the latency is observed for every consecutive call
   even after bringing back failed brokers. The average latency was ~10 sec.
   on my local setup.
   - And also, it is observed that whenever a leader broker fails, Kafka
   does not automatically allocate a new leader, it only allocates when a call
   to Kafka is made, which add up into further latency.

Can you provide some inputs on the above observations?

Reagards,
Jatin