Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Javier Storni <ja...@512konline.com.ar> on 2003/04/25 14:26:50 UTC

Compiling on FreeBSD 5

I'm trying to run latest James in FreeBSD 5, with jdk1.3 latest sources and
patchset 8 from www.eyesbeyond.com.

I get an error, that I can't discover anything. I attach phoenix.log and the
output of run.sh.
Please if anyone can, send any (any) comments or ideas.

Thanks in advance

Javier Storni

Re: Compiling on FreeBSD 5

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>>---------------------------------------------------------
>>>The log file may contain further details of error.
>>>

>>     ^^^^^^^^
>>

>>>Please check the configuration files and restart Phoenix.
>>>If the problem persists, contact the Avalon project.  See
>>>http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon for more information.
>>>

>>Is there a way for us to change this in Phoenix?  This is probably a
>>good example of where we could improve the error message and get less
>>RTFM postings.  Or is this something that's packaged in a jar of phoenix
>>that would require us to build ourselves and maintain a separate distro?
>>

>What would you like for it to say?  We can always ask.  It would be nice if
>they would report the current log file path.  Also, their new URL is
>http://avalon.apache.org/, although the old URL still works.
>
>I'm not sure what the current status is of getting the Avalon components
>updated, but we can check with Stephen.

Avalon component updates on moving along nicely.  The Excalibur packages
are now almost complete with respect to the release cycle.  Once that is
done we (Avalon) can move ahead with specific Cornerstone components.
As to the above issues - these look like Phoenix specific questions - I
would suggest posting a question to the users@avalon.apache.org list.

Cheers, Steve.

>	--- Noel

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org
http://www.osm.net

Re: Compiling on FreeBSD 5

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> The log file may contain further details of error.
>
>      ^^^^^^^^
> What would you like for it to say?  We can always ask.  It would be nice if
> they would report the current log file path.  Also, their new URL is
> http://avalon.apache.org/, although the old URL still works.
>
> I'm not sure what the current status is of getting the Avalon components
> updated, but we can check with Stephen.

As you guessed, the name of the file rather than "the".

Hopefully someday Phoenix could even give a nice message explaining the
problem, along with the line # and the filename.  Ah to dream.  :)

--
Serge Knystautas
President

RE: Compiling on FreeBSD 5

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Compiling on FreeBSD 5

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Laurent Rouvet wrote:
> Javier Storni wrote:
>
>> These are the logs.
>> The log file may contain further details of error.
>
>       ^^^^^^^^
>
>> Please check the configuration files and restart Phoenix.
>> If the problem persists, contact the Avalon project.  See
>> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon for more information.
>

> This log file is <james>/logs/phoenix.log

Noel (or whoever would know),

Re: Compiling on FreeBSD 5

Posted by Laurent Rouvet <la...@roovay.com>.

http://roovay.com/laurent/contact.html

RE: Compiling on FreeBSD 5

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
It appears to be dying in Phoenix during its own initialization.  You should
file a bugzilla report against Phoenix:
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Avalon.

	--- Noel

Re: Compiling on FreeBSD 5

Posted by Javier Storni <ja...@512konline.com.ar>.
These are the logs.

Javier Storni

RE: Compiling on FreeBSD 5

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
There was no log attached.

FWIW, I had trouble running almost anything with Java on FreeBSD until they
updated to a very recent 1.4.1:

 $ java -version
 java version "1.4.1-p3"
 Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build
1.4.1-p3-brian_10_mar_2003_17_46)
 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.1-p3-brian_10_mar_2003_17_46, mixed
mode)

I have not yet tried running James on it, since it is a shared server.

	--- Noel