Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kris Deugau <kd...@vianet.ca> on 2007/01/02 21:21:34 UTC

Re: RBLs

Jeff Chan wrote:
> The SpamCop BL is a fair representation of the sending IPs of the
> messages that its users are reporting as spam.  One of your goals
> as an ESP should be to not get perceived as spam in the mailboxes
> of those users.  If the users get your messages and report them
> as spam (via SpamCop, AOL, etc.), then you may be doing something
> inappropriate that's worth reviewing and correcting.

In a lot of cases, that seems to boil down to "sending a legitimate
email to a recipient who once *asked* to be sent such email, who has now
forgotten they signed up in the first place".  :(

There's not much a sender can do about that - particularly for periodic
emails of the type *many* companies send to customers (or potential
customers) who have signed up for these messages.

-kgd

Re: RBLs

Posted by Jason Faulkner <jf...@broadwick.com>.

>> In a lot of cases, that seems to boil down to "sending a legitimate
>> email to a recipient who once *asked* to be sent such email, who has
>> now forgotten they signed up in the first place".  :(
>>
>> There's not much a sender can do about that - particularly for
>> periodic emails of the type *many* companies send to customers (or
>> potential customers) who have signed up for these messages.
>

> Not only can the sender not do anything about the reporting and
> getting blacklisted, but the way spamcop sometimes (always?) lists the
> host, they can't find out which of their senders was involved, and
> thus have no hope of figuring out which of that sender's recipients is
> responsible.
>
> Kind of hard to solve a problem when you're just being told "something
> is wrong" and _nothing_ more.  Which is the case when a spamtrap was
> involved.

Exactly the point I was trying to make earlier. As an ESP (email service
provider), we have a tough job in separating the wheat from the chaff.
When you have just under 10,000 customers and 12 IPs, it's a little
difficult to know who sent to a spamtrap when we aren't even given the
most basic information about a message.

--
Jason Faulkner
Systems Manager