Posted to dev@impala.apache.org by Michael Ho <kw...@cloudera.com> on 2018/03/28 16:00:51 UTC

FE build failure

During GVO, I ran into the following warning message
(*maven.jenkins.cloudera.com <http://maven.jenkins.cloudera.com>: Name
or service not known*) and eventually hit a compilation failure
eventually. Not sure if anyone has run into this failure or if the
warning message is a concern:

[WARNING] Failure to transfer
net.minidev:json-smart/maven-metadata.xml from
http://maven.jenkins.cloudera.com:8081/artifactory/cauldron-latest-snapshot-local/
was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted
until the update interval of cdh.cauldron.repo has elapsed or updates
are forced. Original error: Could not transfer metadata
net.minidev:json-smart/maven-metadata.xml from/to cdh.cauldron.repo
[...]

[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] COMPILATION ERROR :
[INFO] -------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR] /home/ubuntu/Impala/fe/generated-sources/gen-java/org/apache/impala/analysis/ParquetHelper.java:[53,1]
duplicate class: org.apache.impala.analysis.ParquetHelper
[ERROR] /home/ubuntu/Impala/fe/generated-sources/gen-java/org/apache/impala/thrift/TMetadataOpRequest.java:[59,44]
cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class TGetInfoReq
  location: package org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift
[ERROR] /home/ubuntu/Impala/fe/generated-sources/gen-java/org/apache/impala/thrift/TMetadataOpRequest.java:[60,44]
cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class TGetTypeInfoReq
  location: package org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift
[ERROR] /home/ubuntu/Impala/fe/generated-sources/gen-java/org/apache/impala/thrift/TMetadataOpRequest.java:[61,44]
cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class TGetCatalogsReq
  location: package org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift
[ERROR] /home/ubuntu/Impala/fe/generated-sources/gen-java/org/apache/impala/thrift/TMetadataOpRequest.java:[62,44]
cannot find symbol
  symbol:   class TGetSchemasReq
  location: package org.apache.hive.service.cli.thrift

Re: FE build failure

Posted by Michael Ho <kw...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Philip,

Thanks a lot for the detailed analysis.

Michael

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 9:58 AM, Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com>
wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> What's going on is that we're re-using build machines. I compared
> https://jenkins.impala.io/job/ubuntu-16.04-from-scratch/1748/consoleFull
> and https://jenkins.impala.io/job/ubuntu-16.04-from-scratch/
> 1749/consoleFull.
> They're buliding the same thing, and 1749 is a lot farther along, whereas
> 1748 failed. In 1748, you can see "07:52:11 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed,
> 0 to remove and 88 not upgraded.", which suggests to me that this machine
> has been used for a build before. I had thought that we use a new machine
> for every build, but https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-8618
> doesn't seem to exist, so the way it works is just a "1 minute timeout". A
> previous build ran on this machine. It was
> https://jenkins.impala.io/job/all-build-options-ub1604/1198/.
>
> It turns out we run "buildall" with "-noclean" because that's what's in
> "bootstrap_development". I'm going to test that removing "-noclean" would
> help, and, if it does, push that along. We could also change the Jenkins
> jobs to cleanup their workspace after they're done.
>
> Anyway, I think the mystery is cleared up, and it looks like you just
> re-submitted and are unblocked.
>
> -- Philip
>

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 9:37 AM, Michael Ho <kw...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > https://jenkins.impala.io/job/ubuntu-16.04-from-scratch/1748/
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I see. That's surprising. Could you send me a URL to take a look?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > -- Philip

> philip@cloudera.com>

> (
> > 0812f8737a4301e5b52cad9dc91158
> > > seeing
> > > fe/generated-sources.
> > packages,

> > that
> > > we
> there.
> > > I'm
> your
> > resolve
> > > we're

> >:
> > > Name
> the

> > > reattempted
> > updates
> > cdh.cauldron.repo
> > > reattempted
> > updates
> > cdh.cauldron.repo
> > > reattempted
> > updates
> > cdh.cauldron.repo

> > -------------------------------
> > -------------------------------

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > Michael

Michael

Re: FE build failure

Posted by Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com>.
https://gerrit.cloudera.org/#/c/9841/ is the review to remove "-noclean"
from bootstrap_development, which I think will prevent this.

-- Philip

Re: FE build failure

Posted by Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Michael,

Re: FE build failure

Posted by Michael Ho <kw...@cloudera.com>.

wrote:

> I see. That's surprising. Could you send me a URL to take a look?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -- Philip
>
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 9:30 AM, Michael Ho <kw...@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Philip. This is GVO not my local dev machine. It's presumably
> > building from scratch. Could it be left over from some previous GVO ?
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 9:05 AM, Philip Zeyliger <ph...@cloudera.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Michael,
> > >
> > > Most likely this is on account of switching to Hadoop 3 by default (
> > > https://github.com/apache/impala/commit/0812f8737a4301e5b52cad9dc91158
> > > 9f9e98ecdb).
> > > I sent an e-mail out about this yesterday, but I think what you're
> seeing
> > > is a need to re-run buildall, and to possibly clean
> fe/generated-sources.
> > > Hive1 and Hive2 have differing package names for their Thrift packages,
> > and
> > > there's a sed script in one of the CMake files which customize that
> > > appropriately after running Thrift.
> > >
> > > The maven.jenkins.cloudera.com issue is harmless. The Sentry pom that
> we
> > > depend on has an errant "<repository>" tag which shouldn't be there.
> I'm
> > > working on getting that fixed up, but I don't think it's causing your
> > > current issue. (That said, if you get an issue about failing to resolve
> > > dependencies, it can be related, and but I think I've fixed the one
> we're
> > > likely to run into already.)
> > >
> > > -- Philip

> Name