Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com> on 2008/07/04 05:25:03 UTC

Optional command line onfiguration URL for Chainsaw

I'm considering adding a dependency to Commons-cli to allow Chainsaw
start script to have some startup options, the driving force being to
allow one to configure a Receiver configuration file to pass to it.
This would mean one could configure an automatic URL via the
preferences as we can do now, but allow a specific one to be chosen to
replace it on the command line.

This could be further extended to allow basic "adhoc" receiver
startups.  So I'm proposing something like:

-c <path to configuration file>

or

-s <host:port>,<host:port>,... -- Start SocketReceiver connected to
listed hosts:ports (default port could be assumed)
-h <host:port>,<host:port>,... -- Start SocketHubReceiver ....

These would fill my direct needs.  Scott, you may have some
suggestions for logical arguments for the other Receivers?

cheers,

Paul