Posted to users@daffodil.apache.org by "Costello, Roger L." <co...@mitre.org> on 2019/06/03 15:40:24 UTC

Are DFDL expressions evil?

Hello DFDL community,

Today Mike Beckerle wrote:

  *   I think expressions for delimiters should be avoided if possible.

Why is that?

Are all DFDL expressions to be avoided if possible? Wouldn't that eliminate dynamic computation/parsing?

/Roger

Re: Are DFDL expressions evil?

Posted by "Beckerle, Mike" <mb...@tresys.com>.
Expressions are not evil.

On the contrary, they're essential to many things in DFDL. They are a major thing that make DFDL more powerful, especially when unparsing, to existing technology for "ETL" and data integration.

It's simply a matter of doing things in a more simple manner when possible. From a portability perspective things that avoid using expressions are more likely to be portable to other DFDL impementations, which do not fully implement the DFDL function library, for example.