Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Russell Whitaker <ru...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/13 02:37:47 UTC

"Processor requires an upstream connection" for FetchS3Object?

I'm running v0.4.1 Nifi, and seeing this (taken from nifi-app.log,
also seeing on mouseover of the "!" icon on the processor on the
canvas):

2016-01-12 17:08:50,357 ERROR [NiFi Web Server-18]
o.a.nifi.groups.StandardProcessGroup Unable to start
FetchS3Object[id=f4253204-a2e2-4ce6-ba09-9415e8024dca] due to {}
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Processor FetchS3Object is not in a
valid state due to ['Upstream Connections' is invalid because
Processor requires an upstream connection but currently has none]

Per:
https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/components/org.apache.nifi.processors.aws.s3.FetchS3Object/index.html,
FetchS3Object "Retrieves the contents of an S3 Object and writes it to
the content of a FlowFile," which would seem to indicate this is an
"edge" processor that doesn't expect a flowfile from an upstream
processor.

The "Tags" on the doc are: "Amazon, S3, AWS, Get, Fetch"

The processor configuration settings themselves strongly indicate it
expects to connect to S3 using the supplied
credentials/bucket/objectkey settings, with no upstream processor.

But I get this error. What am I missing? There's no GetS3Object
anymore; surely this is the edge processor for directly downloading S3
objects, yes? There's no "ListS3Object" processor type which might
hypothetically populate attributes for FetchS3Object to act upon.

Also, there are these obviously incorrect copy/paste lines in the
Relationships area of the API doc referenced above:

"success - FlowFiles are routed to success after being successfully
copied to Amazon S3"
"failure - FlowFiles are routed to failure if unable to be copied to Amazon S3"

No, that's obviously lifted from the PutS3Object doc page, where it's
actually correct:

https://nifi.apache.org/docs/nifi-docs/components/org.apache.nifi.processors.aws.s3.PutS3Object/index.html

Anyone have any insight into this? Thanks in advance.

Russell

--
Russell Whitaker
http://twitter.com/OrthoNormalRuss

Re: "Processor requires an upstream connection" for FetchS3Object?

Posted by Joe Skora <js...@gmail.com>.
Russell,

The general contract is for ListXXX to identify files to process without
moving content and FetchXXX to pull the content into the data flow.  So,
FetchS3 is ideally meant to work in conjunction with a ListS3 instance, but
your solution of using ExecuteStreamCommand with the S3 CLI tools should
allow you to approximate that behavior until ListS3 is released.

Joe

Posted by Russell Whitaker <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Russell Whitaker <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Adam Lamar <ad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Russell,
>
> Sorry - I meant that I use the FetchS3Object processor, not ListS3.

Ah, that makes more sense, thanks.

> You can
> set the Object Key property with the name of the key you want to download.
> This property supports the expression language, so the object key can be
> sourced from each flowfile.
>
> I'm unsure if there is a good template around, but I'd be willing to share
> my flow if that would be helpful.

That would be enormously useful, yes, thanks, please.

Russell

Posted by Adam Lamar <ad...@gmail.com>.
Russell,

Sorry - I meant that I use the FetchS3Object processor, not ListS3. You

Posted by Russell Whitaker <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Lamar <ad...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
Russell/Corey,

In 0.4.0 there is a new way for processors to indicate what they expect as
far as input, it can be required, allowed, or forbidden. This prevents
scenarios like ExecuteSQL which at one point required an input FlowFile,
but the processor could be running and started with out an incoming
connection, and it wasn't clear why it wasn't doing anything. So now if a
processor says input is required, then it will be considered invalid if
there are no incoming connections.

In the case of FetchS3, there is definitely intent to have a ListS3, but
there are still ways to use it with out that...

One scenario might be to retrieve the same bucket on a timer, maybe once a
day or every hour... this could be done with a GenerateFlowFile processor
scheduled to the appropriate interval and feeding into FetchS3, with
FetchS3 containing a hard-coded bucket id. GenerateFlowFile would be acting
as the trigger here.

A second scenario might be to receive messages from somewhere else (JMS,
Kafka, HTTP) which contain bucket ids, and feed these FlowFiles into
FetchS3. The bucket id on FetchS3 could use expression language to
reference a bucket id on the incoming FlowFile.

Hope this helps.

-Bryan

Posted by Corey Flowers <cf...@onyxpoint.com>.
Hello Russell,

Posted by Russell Whitaker <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Corey Flowers <cf...@onyxpoint.com>.
Ha ha! Well that would do it! :)

Posted by Russell Whitaker <ru...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Corey Flowers <cf...@onyxpoint.com> wrote:
> I haven't worked with this processor but I believe it is looking for
> the S3 list processor to generate the list of objects to fetch. Did
> you try that yet?

I mentioned this: "There's no "ListS3Object" processor type which
might hypothetically populate
attributes for FetchS3Object to act upon." I should have made this
doubly explicit that I checked
in the processor creation dialogue.

Also, this:
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/nifi-users/201510.mbox/%3CD23C06E8.CA0%25chakrader.dewaragatla@lifelock.com%3E

"There is already a ticket
(NIFI-840<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/NIFI-840>)
in the hopper to create a ListS3Objects processor that can track
bucket contents and trigger
FetchS3Object."

Oh god, it does appear that v0.4.1 ships with an implemented
FetchS3Object processor but no
List processor to feed it:

Posted by Corey Flowers <cf...@onyxpoint.com>.