Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> on 2014/12/09 18:23:11 UTC

Java 32

If we are working towards a new release, could the "Java not found" message from Windows be extended to be more informative? It could be amended to say something like "OpenOffice needs a 32 bit Java, which has not been found on this machine".

Many Windows users know they have Java installed and are baffled when OO doesn't find it.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Java 32

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 3:00 AM, Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 12/14/2014 05:46 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 6:00 PM, Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org> wrote:

Oh I see. Well maybe you could propose some appropriate wording and suggest
a good place to put this. I would think the provider of such an app would
inform the user about this, though.

MzK

"There's a bit of magic in everything,
  and some loss to even things out."
                            -- Lou Reed

Re: Java 32

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.

Re: Java 32

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java 32

Posted by Carl Marcum <cm...@apache.org>.

Re: Java 32

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: Java 32

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

RE: Java 32

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1 to Andreas.  Sounds like a plan.

There seems to be some disagreement on what (3), the dialog message, should be.  It is likely that should be agreed first, since (1) will depend on it.  That there are only possible mismatches on x64 Windows/Mac operating systems (or any others that run both x86 and x64 binaries) needs to be clear.  Not in the message.  I don't see making the message even more complicated about lore that will be even more confusing to casual users.

For (1), the java.html page, I think we can address the concern by Andreas Säger by keeping the java.html page simple and providing progressive disclosure of specific details on supplementary pages if necessary.  That means more page-translation work, so I suggest that java.html be kept straightforward and as simple as possible (but no simpler, of course, and definitely accurate) first.

 - Dennis

Re: Java 32

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

On 19/12/14 23:45, V Stuart Foote wrote:

>> Doesn't a11y functionality/capability require Java?

> Not since early in the 4.1 release cycle with implementation of IAccessible2 based native bridge for Windows,

Thanks.
That sort of explains a bizarre call had with GW Micro.

jonathon

Re: Java 32

Posted by V Stuart Foote <VS...@utsa.edu>.
jonathon-3 wrote
> On 11/12/14 11:13, Andreas Säger wrote:
>
>> A Java runtime environment (JRE) is required to use the following
>> functionality:
>>
>> *Wizards*, namely:
>>
>> *Macros*
>>
>> *Extensions*
>>
>> Finding keywords in the F1 help depends on Java.
>>
>> *Database access*
>
> Doesn't a11y functionality/capability require Java?

Not since early in the 4.1 release cycle with implementation of IAccessible2
based native bridge for Windows, and then JAB based code was removed for
final release.  Same over on the LibreOffice side at their 4.3 release.

Stuart

Re: Java 32

Posted by jonathon <to...@gmail.com>.

RE: Java 32

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1 Looks like a workable case, especially if translators know what to do.

 -- and reply to ---
Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12/22/2014 10:40 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Marcus wrote:
>> Sounds like a good solution in general. But I don't know how to
>> integrate a variable URL into the error message for the dialogbox.
>
> You needn't do that.
>
>> It must be something like the follwong:
>> "http://www.openoffice.org/" + $ISO_CODE + "java.html"
>
> No, in the ENGLISH string you write the link as
> http://www.openoffice.org/java.html
>
> Then the Italian translators, for example, in the Italian translation in
> Pootle (not in the code) use http://www.openoffice.org/it/java.html but
> there is no need for anything special, we do it in several places
> already, especially the README.

of course you are right. Sorry for not thinking further than 2 strings. ;-)

Marcus

Re: Java 32

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Java 32

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

RE: Java 32

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
+1 !!

Re: Java 32

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

RE: Java 32

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12/21/2014 11:06 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> On 11/12/2014 Andreas Säger wrote:
>> Am 11.12.2014 um 09:49 schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
>>> My suggestion (can be executed as a team, not necessarily by one
>>> person):
>>> 1. Find a proper wording for
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html
>> More detailed info is needed to overthrow the common prejudice that
>> OpenOffice relies heavily on Java which is not even true for the Base
>> component.
>
> Thanks for the excellent text. Indeed, the page could be written in the
> form of FAQ and this one (link to archives:
> http://markmail.org/message/zr5cjxxpv7qqu5y3 ) be the answer to "What is
> Java needed for in OpenOffice?".
>
>>> 2. Create a link www.openoffice.org/java pointing at it

when thinking a bit, I would favor to completely move the file to the
root of w.oo.o

As it is the explaining text how OpenOffice and Java are working
together and therefore it has nothing to do with the download - as it
was in former days as the JRE was included - it's better suited there
than in the download area.

What do others think?

>>> 3. Find a short (short!) text for the dialog box, sending the people to
>>> www.openoffice.org/java for any details (including 32 and 64-bit
>
> And here we have this proposal by Dennis, which can work for me.
> http://markmail.org/thread/awj3rdjxluw4kdf3

He updated his suggestion a bit. Now it's:

"Some OpenOffice operations use Java Runtime (JRE).
A suitable JRE is not installed. For details
http://openoffice.org/java.html"

>> This would be very easy if the dialog box would not show inadequate
>> JREs. If it would list only the JREs with correct bitness, the list of
>> JREs could have a slightly modified label with a 32 or 64 bit prefix
>> like this:
>> <32|64> bit Java runtime environments (JRE) already installed:
>> I strongly suggest to fix the list content first. Showing the right
>> label text with wrong options does not help much.
>
> At the moment, this will have to be postponed since nobody volunteered
> to do the needed code fix. So I would go on with the rest, otherwise we
> will wait forever.
>
>>> 4. Place #3 in form of a patch in Bugzilla and send the number here (and
>>> if the patch comes from someone who is not one of the usual code
>>> committers, even better)
>>>
>>> 5. At that point it will be easy for people who have their own build
>>> tree to check the patch before we get it in, so don't worry about this.
>
> This is still perfectly feasible, so my recommendation is: just do it!
> We have the text, creating a patch from it is easy and even it is a
> small improvement it will help many users.

Then it's time to go to point #4.

Marcus

Re: Java 32

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Java 32

Posted by Andreas Säger <sa...@t-online.de>.
> Marcus wrote:
>> Of course I can change it in the code with a commit. However, I'm not
>> able to create a build to check myself to see if my fix is good or
>> produces an ugly build breaker. I'm not yet so far to build AOO from
>> scratch myself. I wanted to try this for the quite days at this years
>> end.
>> Any tips?
>
> My suggestion (can be executed as a team, not necessarily by one person):
>
> 1. Find a proper wording for
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html

More detailed info is needed to overthrow the common prejudice that
OpenOffice relies heavily on Java which is not even true for the Base
component.

A Java runtime environment (JRE) is required to use the following
functionality:

*Wizards*, namely:
 menu:File>Wizard>Letter...
 menu:File>Wizard>Fax...
 menu:File>Wizard>Agenda...
 menu:File>Wizard>Web Page...

*Macros*
JavaScript and BeanShell macros require Java
The dialog menu:Tools>Macros>Run... can't be used.
Without Java you can still use menu:Tools>Macros>Organize... to run
Python and Basic macros.
> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=86541

*Extensions*
Extensions coded in Java

Finding keywords in the F1 help depends on Java.

*Database access*
All Base wizards are coded in Java.
The embedded HSQLDB and any other JDBC connetion requires Java.

Contrary to the current text stating that Base depends entirely on Java,
most of the Base component is functional without Java. You can query and
mail merge any kind of non-Java database and you can create fully
functional input forms manually without the questionable help of the
form wizard.
You can even create a new database without Java. This results in a (less
functionable) dBase directory.

*Required JRE* when needing any of the above features:
Any recent version of Java 7 or 8
Windwos: 32 bit JRE in any case since OpenOffice for Windows is a 32 bit
application
Mac: 64 bit JRE for all recent versions of OpenOffice since all recent
versions for the Mac are 64 bit versions.
Linux: 32 or 64 bit JRE according to the bitness of OpenOffice which
should be the same as the system bitness.

Re: Java 32

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

RE: Java 32

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Marcus,

Thank you for reminding me about this message.  I have used your clues to dig into the code farther.  Remarks in-line below.

I am tired digging through the code for now.

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12/10/2014 08:22 AM, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:
> On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 23:01:01 +0000
> Rory O'Farrell<of...@iol.ie>  wrote:

>>> be
>>> which

>>> it
>>>
>>> maybe Rory can help here. It's easier than to search through 1560 hits.
>>> ;-)
>>
>> I'll uninstall Java on on unused windows machine tomorrow and catch the error message, but it is likely to be about 15 hours from now as I have meetings tomorrow morning. Going to bed now!
>

> Here is the message as quoted on the en-Forum
>
> "JRE is Defective
> No Java installation could be found
> Please check your installation"

thanks for your help.

I think I've found the locations in the code and it seems to be a
combined text from 2 sources:

http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/svtools/source/java/javaerror.src
Line 86

and

http://opengrok.adfinis-sygroup.org/source/xref/aoo-trunk/main/connectivity/source/resource/conn_shared_res.src
Line 535

The problem that I see is that it's a generic message for all platforms.
So, when changing the wording like "... Windows needs a 32-bit JRE ..."
then it will look stupid on Linux and Mac. ;-)

So, we have to find a better generic wording.

My suggestion is:
- don't use "JRE is defective" at all as it is missleading with the next
both sentences.

- instead of just writing "No Java installation could be found. Please
check your installation." better would be to add another sentence like
"Hint: When using a 32-bit operation system then also a 32-bit JRE has
to be installed. Or a 64-bit JRE when using a 64-bit operating system."

And then maybe add the URL Kay has mentioned.

Next problem for me:
Of course I can change it in the code with a commit. However, I'm not
able to create a build to check myself to see if my fix is good or
produces an ugly build breaker. I'm not yet so far to build AOO from
scratch myself. I wanted to try this for the quite days at this years end.

Any tips?

BTW:
At least we can satisfy Dennis' request to find a better word for
"defective". :-P

Marcus

Re: Java 32

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 10/12/14 08:22, Rory O'Farrell wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Dec 2014 23:01:01 +0000
> Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie> wrote:

>>> be
>>> which

>>> it
>>>
>>> maybe Rory can help here. It's easier than to search through 1560 hits.
>>> ;-)
>>
>> I'll uninstall Java on on unused windows machine tomorrow and catch the error message, but it is likely to be about 15 hours from now as I have meetings tomorrow morning. Going to bed now!
>

> Here is the message as quoted on the en-Forum
>
> "JRE is Defective
> No Java installation could be found
> Please check your installation"

I am currently have no proper windows machine in place but have anybody
tested AOO on Windows with a 64 bit Java and added a JVM parameter -d32
to run the JVM in 32 mode.

I can't remember if it works or not, some features will definitely not
work but these are not so often used from the average user. It can
potentially help to improve the search functionality and in case of a 64
bit Java this parameter is added. But I am not sure a swell if this
parameter still exists in the latest Java versions.

The longterm goal should be to become a 64 bit application on Windows
but this is of course a little bit more more work.

Juergen

Re: Java 32

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 21:04:37 -0800
"Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> wrote:

> Great, Marcus and Kay!
>
> Yes, "Java Runtime (JRE) is needed for some operations.  See <helpful URL>."
>
> The <http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html> page is a great start.
>
>  1. It needs to say "Versions Of Apache OpenOffice do not include a JRE."
>     (The case for OpenOffice.org 3.4 doesn't matter.)
>
>  2. The 32-bit versus 64-bit distinction needs to be covered.
>
>  3. There is some wordsmithing that would be useful before submitting the page to any translation.
> (The last-sentence use of "appreciate" is quaint.  I would think the link to java.com above is fine, since it provides download links immediately.  The last sentence can be removed.)
>
> Is it sufficient to hack directly on
> <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/openoffice/ooo-site/trunk/content/download/common/java.html>?
>
>  - Dennis

I read the latest posts in this thread just before going to sleep last night and made no comment at the time. I remind the thread readers that I raised this function in the context specifically of Windows _needing_ a 32 bit Java, no matter what the bitness of the Windows is. I have not run into any other instances of OpenOffice/Operating Systems with differing bitness - these may exist, but are rare in my opinion and Forum experience. So  I urge a message such as

"A Java Runtime (JRE) is needed for some operations using OpenOffice. If using 64 bit version of Windows, a 32 bit Java must be installed to work with OpenOffice.  See
>> <helpful URL>."

I read through the text at the target URL: my thoughts are that it is over-complex and (specifically) didn't mention the
problem of the bit-matching.  Remember that our major User-base is of Windows Users, many of whom are using older machines running XP(32), Win 7(32). I may re-read the text at that URL later, but can't guarantee it - my central heating has died and I have to go investigate - I fear it is serious!

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

RE: Java 32

Am 12/10/2014 11:08 PM, schrieb Kay Schenk:
> On 12/10/2014 08:52 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
[ ... ]
>> Since the message is limited in length and must translate easily, it
>> seems something like
>>
>> "A 32-bit Java Runtime (JRE) is needed for some operations.  See
>> <helpful URL>."
>
> I've tracked down info needed to change this message.
>
> Do we want to use the following for the helpful URL --
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/common/java.html

looks good (however, I've not yet read the complete text).

Is it possible to include a URL that is actually clickable? If not, the
user has to write it down and then input it into the browser's URL field
to get to the webpage. IMHO not really user-friendly.

If we can get it copyable - like in the About dialogbox - then it's for
sure better.

Marcus

>> I assume the URL would not need to be translated, and browser
>> sniffing could take care of language there. That does mean the
>> openoffice.org site needs a place with short URL for dealing with
>> this.

[ ... ]

Re: Java 32

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Java 32

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

RE: Java 32

Re: Java 32

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Java 32

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.

Re: Java 32

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.

Re: Java 32

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: Java 32

Posted by Marcus <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 12/09/2014 06:23 PM, schrieb Rory O'Farrell:

> If we are working towards a new release, could the "Java not found"
 > message from Windows be extended to be more informative? It could be
 > amended to say something like "OpenOffice needs a 32 bit Java, which
 > has not been found on this machine".
>
> Many Windows users know they have Java installed and are baffled
>when OO doesn't find it.

right, this could help indeed. Especially when the Win 64-bit users have
installed a 64-bit Java and now doesn't understand why AOO doesn't find
it - when actually a 32-bit Java needs to be found.

Of course this little addition in the sentence needs to be translated, too.