Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org> on 2004/01/17 01:00:18 UTC

Bandwidth limiting (per client or global)?

I looked for a flexible bandwidth limiting solution that would let me
apply limits to a location, vhost, the whole server, and on either a
per-client or global basis.

I couldn't find one, but I may have missed something obvious.  I know that
neither mod_throttle or mod_bandwidth are flexible enough to do what I
want.  Does anyone know of one?

-dave

/*=======================
House Absolute Consulting
www.houseabsolute.com

Re: Bandwidth limiting (per client or global)?

Posted by Raul Dias <ra...@dias.com.br>.
Hi,

I wrote a filter that would do that.  It is really raw and simple,
thought.

It is working in a global basis, but it can be easily changed to work
with different values in a per client, virtualdomain, path basis.  It
does not do it yet because I did not need that part.

I am rewrinting it to work correctly in a worker MPM and not need the
Storable module.

So, if you need it badly, remember me in a week.  It should be working
again there.

[]'s
Raul Dias

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Ged Haywood wrote:

> > I looked for a flexible bandwidth limiting solution that would let me
> > apply limits to a location, vhost, the whole server, and on either a
> > per-client or global basis.
> >
> > I couldn't find one, but I may have missed something obvious.  I know that
> > neither mod_throttle or mod_bandwidth are flexible enough to do what I
> > want.  Does anyone know of one?
>
> Squid?

Well, I realized that for what I needed I had to be able to limiting based
in part of my application, so that it's limited _per user_.  An external
solution wouldn't work at all in that case.

-dave

/*=======================

Posted by Ged Haywood <ge...@www2.jubileegroup.co.uk>.
Hi there,

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004, Dave Rolsky wrote:

> I looked for a flexible bandwidth limiting solution that would let me
> apply limits to a location, vhost, the whole server, and on either a
> per-client or global basis.
>
> I couldn't find one, but I may have missed something obvious.  I know that
> neither mod_throttle or mod_bandwidth are flexible enough to do what I
> want.  Does anyone know of one?

Squid?

73,
Ged.