Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Beats <ta...@yahoo.com> on 2009/07/11 09:20:43 UTC

how to crawl a page but not index it

hi all

i want to crawl a page and then crawl all its outlinks and index the content
of those crawled outlinks..

the problem is i dont want to index the page from where i get these
outlinks..

thanx in advance

Re: how to crawl a page but not index it

Posted by Andrzej Bialecki <ab...@getopt.org>.
On 2010-11-16 12:13, ytthet wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have similar requirements as Beats.
>
> I need to crawl certain page to extract URLs, but not to index the page.
>
> For example, blog home page contains snap shot of last page and links to
> them. In that case, I need to extract only links and not to index the page.
>
> I cannot do as Jake suggested, <meta name="robots"
> content="noindex,follow">, for I do not own the page. Rather, I am indexing
> few collections of web sites.
>
> Have we found any solutions or suggestions on the matter?

This and similar use case scenarios all boil down to your ability to
specify what is so special about this page, and then just skipping it in
your custom IndexingFilter (returning null from a filter will discard
the page from index).

One simple solution, if you know in advance the urls of pages that you
want to discard, would be to inject these urls with an additional
metadata "homepage=true" and then check this in your IndexingFilter.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><

Re: how to crawl a page but not index it

Posted by ytthet <ye...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

I have similar requirements as Beats.

I need to crawl certain page to extract URLs, but not to index the page.

For example, blog home page contains snap shot of last page and links to
them. In that case, I need to extract only links and not to index the page.

I cannot do as Jake suggested, <meta name="robots"
content="noindex,follow">, for I do not own the page. Rather, I am indexing
few collections of web sites.

Have we found any solutions or suggestions on the matter?

Thanks in advance.

Y.T Thet

Posted by Jake Jacobson <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi,