Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2005/10/12 15:33:32 UTC

[proxy] Moving to Proper...

The Crispy (http://crispy.sourceforge.net) project has expressed interest in
using Commons Proxy (and my Syringe project already uses it).  However, it's
difficult for outside projects to use Commons Proxy if there are no releases
available on Ibiblio.  What are the procedures/requirements for requesting
that a sandbox project be moved to the commons proper?  I realize that my
reliance on JDK5 features may be somewhat of a hindrance since our nightly
build process only supports JDK1.4 and below from what I understand.  Is
this something that we're going to fix or do all of our projects have to use
at most JDK1.4?  Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

James

Re: [proxy] Moving to Proper...

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 10/15/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 09:33 -0400, James Carman wrote:

[snip]

> I realize that my
> > reliance on JDK5 features may be somewhat of a hindrance since our
> nightly
> > build process only supports JDK1.4 and below from what I understand. Is
> > this something that we're going to fix or do all of our projects have to
> use
> > at most JDK1.4? Any advice is welcome.
>
> some time soon now jakarta will have a shiny new virtual server to run
> stuff like these builds but ATM craig runs these for us (thanks) and so
> he'd need to answer this...

Updating my system that does the nightly builds to support either 1.4
or 1.5is definitely on my TODO list, but unfortunately not very high
:-(. I can't
promise any time on it in the near future.

- robert

Craig

Re: [proxy] Moving to Proper...

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 09:33 -0400, James Carman wrote:
> The Crispy (http://crispy.sourceforge.net) project has expressed interest in
> using Commons Proxy (and my Syringe project already uses it).  However, it's
> difficult for outside projects to use Commons Proxy if there are no releases
> available on Ibiblio.  What are the procedures/requirements for requesting
> that a sandbox project be moved to the commons proper?

there aren't too many formal requirements. the component needs to meet
the requirements of the charter (needs to be in scope and have the
relevant bits and bats of documentation.)

but there are social conventions. some digging the archives will reveal
people's perspectives on this.

speaking personally:

IMHO a component needs to be ready for release: even if only a 0.x
(feature incomplete and API possible unstable). we're learnt (from
mistakes in the past) that it's important for components to have proper
releases and it's easy for this to slip.

IMHO component needs to have a viable community. the community needs to
be persuaded that there enough users and developers to ensure the
component can be self-sustaining. in recent time, i think we've become a
little better at recognising that the size of the community required
depends on the size and maturity of the component.

RE: [proxy] Moving to Proper...

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Now that Commons Proxy supports 1.3+ JVMs, that last point/question is moot.
Any comments on moving proxy to proper?