Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Hermansen, Erik" <EH...@airbiquity.com> on 2007/09/24 21:33:05 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.25 takes 5 minutes to shut down.

Hello!

I'm running Tomcat 5.5.25 on SLED 10.  I performed the installation of Tomcat manually, using the apache-tomcat-5.5.25 archive from Apache's website.  Tomcat will start fine and operate as expected, but shutting down is unreliable and often takes about 5 minutes to complete.  If I run the $CATALINA_BASE/bin/shutdown.sh script, it will return immediately without errors, but checking for the process ("ps aux | grep tomcat") shows it is still loaded for a long amount of time after the script is called.  On a different server with identical hardware and very similar tomcat installation, the shutdown script will bring Tomcat down in about 3 seconds.

Reading through catalina.out, I find this error which corresponds to calling the shutdown.sh script:

SEVERE: Protocol handler pause failed
java.net.ConnectException: Connection timed out
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
        at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.unLockSocket(ChannelSocket.java:49
2)
        at org.apache.jk.common.ChannelSocket.pause(ChannelSocket.java:289)
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkMain.pause(JkMain.java:681)
        at org.apache.jk.server.JkCoyoteHandler.pause(JkCoyoteHandler.java:163)
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.Connector.pause(Connector.java:1032)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stop(StandardService.java:48
9)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:734)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stop(Catalina.java:602)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Catalina.java:577)
java:39)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcces
sorImpl.java:25)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.start(Bootstrap.java:295)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:433)
Sep 19, 2007 3:11:55 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService stop
INFO: Stopping service Catalina
Sep 19, 2007 3:11:56 AM org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11BaseProtocol destroy
INFO: Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
Sep 19, 2007 3:11:56 AM org.apache.catalina.core.AprLifecycleListener lifecycleE
vent
INFO: Failed shutdown of Apache Portable Runtime

I've found a couple similar cases where people had this problem.  They resolved it by doing something with their network configuration, but in both cases the description of their solution was very vague, so I'm not sure how I could proceed.

-Erik

Re: Tomcat 5.5.25 takes 5 minutes to shut down.

Posted by Gabe Wong <ga...@ngasi.com>.
Hi Hermansen,

Check the solution in the following link:
http://www.ngasi.com/ngasihelp/ngasiuserguide/tomcat_fails_shutdown_complete.htm

--
Regards

Gabe Wong