Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/22 12:03:09 UTC

[DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

L.S.,

Redirecting diwakar's question into a new thread to separate it from the
future of ServiceMix discussion.  We have had this pop up a few more times
now, where we generally recommend people to look at ServiceMix 4 and point
them towards Camel and CXF directly instead of looking at JBI, but we never
explicitly decided on when/how to end support for ServiceMix 3.x.  It would
be a good idea if we could come up with a consensus on a date/final release
version of ServiceMix 3.x so at least we can start communicating that more
clearly to our user base.

What do you guys think would be a good EOL scenario for ServiceMix 3.x ?
 How can we best start communicating this to our users (add warnings to the
download pages, a blog post, a news item, ...)?

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

           >> This download page refers to an older version of Apache
ServiceMix. After December 2012, we will only be maintaining and releasing
Apache ServiceMix 4. You can download the latest release here
           Thanks for updating the site. Hope it helps someone who has not
read the posts in forum.

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Hey Diwakar,

Thanks for helping us out - you can find more information about
building ServiceMix 3 on
http://servicemix.apache.org/developers/source.html - for you, it's
probably most interesting to start by building the JBI components and
the ServiceMix 3 projects.  You can update the checked out files
locally and then create JIRA issues and attach patches for the changes
you had to make to get things working.  Have a look at
http://servicemix.apache.org/community/contributing.html (the 'If You
Find a Bug or Problem' section of the page) for more information.

Thanks again,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

That could be another option - when we talked about doing two more
releases until the end of the year, I assumed minor releases because
we would 'automatically' get the JBI components releases that we need
when we do our ServiceMix 4.5.0/4.6.0 releases.  If we decide to do
micro/fix release on 3.4.0 instead, we just have to set up a new
maintenance branch on the JBI components (version 2011.02) and do
separate releases of those components and the 3.4.x container.

The drawback of the latter approach is that it's a bit more work to
set up the branches, backport a few bug fixes made on trunk and
afterwards maintain the branch for a few more months and to cut the
extra JBI components releases for every micro version of 3.4.x.  The
benefit would obviously be that it's more clear as an EOL strategy and
that we might have less work updating the examples in the ServiceMix 3
build to work with newer version of Camel and CXF.

Both approaches are viable solutions in my mind - any thoughts?

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Diwakar,
>

> We're hoping to prepare both a 4.5.0 and 3.5.0 (which go together
> because they share the same JBI components release) in the next few
> weeks - the best way to ensure things are moving along as quickly as
> possible, would be to help out testing the current code in trunk for
> ServiceMix 3.  Most of us are not that actively working on the older
> stuff any more, so any help we can get testing/building/fixing those
> versions would be more than welcome!

Why release a new 3.5 release, why not a 3.4.1, eg a patch release?
http://servicemix.apache.org/downloads/servicemix-3.4.0.html

And the 3.4.1 has the latest 2.8.x and 2.4.x versions of Camel and CXF.

The old 3.x is EOL and IMHO we should not do a new minor release, and
then EOL it right away.
The 3.4.x is patch releases and we should support what people run in
product currently for the EOL period.

> For the changes on the website - they're still on my TODO list but I
> haven't gotten around to them yet.  How about I send an update to the
> dev@ list when it's done and sync'ed over?
>

> Regards,
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------
> FuseSource
> Web: http://fusesource.com
>

> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 6:22 AM, diwakar <di...@nsn.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>            Thanks for the reply.
>>            >> we most likely will have two more versions of this
>>            This is good. Hope it will be delivered on time (unlike 3.4
>> which took a long time after 3.3.2 release)
>>            >> we should have been communicating this to our user base ... I
>> can start updating the website on Monday,
>>            I checked
>> http://servicemix.apache.org/downloads/servicemix-3.4.0 and
>> http://servicemix.apache.org/download.html.
>>            I still cant find information related to the deprecation of
>> Servicemix 3.x version. Is it updated somewhere else. Please let me know
>> your comment.
>>
>> With Best Regards,
>> Diwakar
>>

>> --

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Diwakar,

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

Trying to answer diwakar's questions and summarizing the discussion in one
go here...

For ServiceMix 3.x, we are planning to support that until the end of the
year and we most likely will have two more versions of this:
- a 3.5.0 version that matches the 4.5.0 we're planning to do (using Camel
2.10 and CXF 2.6)
- probably another 3.6.0 later this year when do the next full set of
releases to pick up new version of Camel, CXF, ActiveMQ again

Diwakar is obviously right that we should have been communicating this to
our user base sooner, but it's never too late to correct that situation:
- we should add 'deprecated version notices' to all our ServiceMix 3.x
download pages
- we should send out an announcement about these decisions to both the
mailing lists and add it to the news section on the site

I can start updating the website on Monday, but feel free to jump in and
help out with any of these tasks ;)  -- also, be sure to let me know if I
missed something in my summary here

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Ioannis Canellos <io...@gmail.com>.
Sounds good

--
*Ioannis Canellos*
*

**
Blog: http://iocanel.blogspot.com
**
Twitter: iocanel
*

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1 for end of 2012

Freeman
On 2012-5-22, at 下午11:12, Lars Heinemann wrote:

> +1 for announcing EoL for end of 2012. We talked about this topic
> months ago already but
> missed to tie it to a specific date.
>
> Lars
>

> Am 22.05.2012 um 15:37 schrieb Claus Ibsen:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I suggest to EOL SMX 3.x at the end of this year. Then its easy to
>> remember.
>> Also allows people to take that into account, having 6 months of
>> time ahead.
>>
>> And then do a last SMX 3.x release in Q4 2012, so the people who are
>> on SMX 3.x have
>> at least a new patch release they can use, in case they are stilling
>> running on SMX 3.x after the EOL.
>>
>> And then make the EOL announcement visibile on the SMX front page, as
>> a news item etc.
>> And on the SMX download page, in case people is downloading the 3.x
>> release etc.
>>

>> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Gert Vanthienen
>> <ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> L.S.,
>>>

>>> Redirecting diwakar's question into a new thread to separate it
>>> from the
>>> future of ServiceMix discussion.  We have had this pop up a few
>>> more times
>>> now, where we generally recommend people to look at ServiceMix 4
>>> and point
>>> them towards Camel and CXF directly instead of looking at JBI, but
>>> we never
>>> explicitly decided on when/how to end support for ServiceMix 3.x.
>>> It would
>>> be a good idea if we could come up with a consensus on a date/
>>> final release
>>> version of ServiceMix 3.x so at least we can start communicating
>>> that more
>>> clearly to our user base.
>>>
>>> What do you guys think would be a good EOL scenario for ServiceMix
>>> 3.x ?
>>> How can we best start communicating this to our users (add
>>> warnings to the
>>> download pages, a blog post, a news item, ...)?
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Gert Vanthienen
>>> ------------------------
>>> FuseSource
>>> Web: http://fusesource.com
>>> Blog: http://gertvanthienen.blogspot.com/

>> --
>> Claus Ibsen
>> -----------------
>> CamelOne 2012 Conference, May 15-16, 2012: http://camelone.com
>> FuseSource
>> Email: cibsen@fusesource.com
>> Web: http://fusesource.com
>> Twitter: davsclaus, fusenews
>> Blog: http://davsclaus.blogspot.com/

Freeman Fang

FuseSource
Email:ffang@fusesource.com
Web: fusesource.com
Twitter: freemanfang
Blog: http://freemanfang.blogspot.com
http://blog.sina.com.cn/u/1473905042
weibo: http://weibo.com/u/1473905042

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by Lars Heinemann <lh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

SMX 4 has been out for over 3 years now... so its about time we did this :)
End of year sounds fine to me.

Cheers,
Jon
---------------
FuseSource
Email: jon@fusesource.com
Web: fusesource.com
Twitter: jon_anstey
Blog: http://janstey.blogspot.com
Author of Camel in Action: http://manning.com/ibsen

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> L.S.,
>

> Redirecting diwakar's question into a new thread to separate it from the
> future of ServiceMix discussion.  We have had this pop up a few more times
> now, where we generally recommend people to look at ServiceMix 4 and point
> them towards Camel and CXF directly instead of looking at JBI, but we never
> explicitly decided on when/how to end support for ServiceMix 3.x.  It would
> be a good idea if we could come up with a consensus on a date/final release
> version of ServiceMix 3.x so at least we can start communicating that more
> clearly to our user base.
>
> What do you guys think would be a good EOL scenario for ServiceMix 3.x ?
>  How can we best start communicating this to our users (add warnings to the
> download pages, a blog post, a news item, ...)?
>

> Regards,
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------
> FuseSource
> Web: http://fusesource.com
>

> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM, diwakar <di...@nsn.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>          Thanks for the post Paul.
>>          Will ASF at least maintain Servicemix 3.x with JBI (no need for
>> new feature development)?
>>
>> With Best Regards,
>> Diwakar
>>

>> --

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
L.S.,

Yeah, that makes sense to me too - it's not a good way to reduce the
amount of work though, because we have to start by setting up
maintenance branches for the 2011.02 components release ;).  However,
since this solutions appears to be preferred by most people, I'll go
ahead and create that branch now.  Once this is one, we can start
updating dependencies and perhaps check if there are any bugfixes done
since the end of last year that we can safely include in this branch.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Gert,

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

         Thanks for the reply.
         Any comment on the backward compatibility of dependencies like
spring, cxf, xbean, classworlds ets?
         Was there a need for major refactoring in Servicemix 1/2/3.x code
due to a change in the version of the dependency? This is a very important
information for me.
         Please let me know your comment on this.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Exactly, if all people (users, contributors, committers) can vote, only
the PMCs are "blocker" for a release. To pass a vote, we need at least 3
PMCs vote. It's the Apache way.

Regards
JB

On 06/18/2012 09:29 AM, diwakar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>            Thanks for the reply.
>            >>  3: we need at least 3 binding vote (performed by PMCs) to
> "validate" a release.
>            So 3 people from
> http://people.apache.org/committers-by-project.html#servicemix-pmc has to
> vote. User votes wont be counted.
>
> With Best Regards,
> Diwakar

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Diwakar,

On 06/18/2012 07:54 AM, diwakar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>            >>  as soon as we have enough binding vote, it will be released
>            JB: What is minimum number of binding votes for a release? Please
> let me know.
>
> With Best Regards,
> Diwakar

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

           Following is dependency analysis of Servicemix 3.x:
- Servicemix core depends on ~ 59 jars (component dependency not included)
- Out of this only ~20 jars are absolute must (with modification of few
xmls)
- Spring framework is the major dependency
- Other dependencies can also be built locally (if necessary)
- Details in attached xls
http://servicemix.396122.n5.nabble.com/file/n5713676/LIB.xlsx LIB.xlsx

- Servicemix 3.x was tested with Java 7
- Basic Servicemix functionality works with Sun JRE 7

Risks:
- Major interface changes in dependencies
     Spring 3.x is recent and will continue for few years
     Spring 4.x when released may be backward compatible
- Java 8
     Servicemix works with Java 7
     Java 8 may be backward compatible with Java 7

        In theory, it may be possible to maintain Servicemix 3.x as long as
Spring framework and Java are backward compatible (even for another 5/10
years).
        Please let me know your comment on this and how serious the risks
are (interface changes in dependencies).

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Diwakar,

we already turned JBI as "optional" in ServiceMix 4 (we now provide a
"default" distribution without JBI).

It's clear that JBI won't be included in ServiceMix 5 (replaced by Camel
+ SMX layer).

Regards
JB

On 06/11/2012 10:28 AM, diwakar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>               Thanks for the replies.
>               Any comments on JBI support in Servicemix 5.x.
>
> With Best Regards,
> Diwakar

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Diwakar,

We mainly recommend the JBI support in ServiceMix 4.x to quickly
enable you to move your application to the new version and then start
migrating it to Camel/CXF/...  If your application requires a lot of
work to deploy it as JBI on ServiceMix 4.x in the first place, I would
rather invest that time in migrating to using Camel and OSGi bundles
straight away instead.

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Diwakar,

IMHO, more than maintaining SMX3, I would work to migrate from JBI to
Camel. Camel components are easy to write and so, it should be quite
easy to migrate your custom JBI components to Camel.

Regards
JB

On 06/11/2012 09:51 AM, diwakar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>           >>  Apache ServiceMix 4.x also comes with JBI support ... Almost all
> our existing JBI components
> are compatible with and available in ServiceMix 4.x
>           We have many custom SE/BCs and it has to be migrated to 4.x (adding
> blueprint.xml etc...). AFAIK the threading model of 4.x is not same as 3.x.
>           Also JBI support in Servicemix 5.x is not clear (It may not
> support).
>           From forum/web, I understand that not many are migrating to JBI is
> Servicemix 4.x (and also few have failed in migrating JBI based code from
> 3.x to 4.x).
>           So we are not sure if it is worth the effort to migrate to JBI in
> 4.x.
>           Please let me know your comment.
>
> With Best Regards,
> Diwakar

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

         >> Apache ServiceMix 4.x also comes with JBI support ... Almost all
our existing JBI components
are compatible with and available in ServiceMix 4.x
         We have many custom SE/BCs and it has to be migrated to 4.x (adding
blueprint.xml etc...). AFAIK the threading model of 4.x is not same as 3.x.
         Also JBI support in Servicemix 5.x is not clear (It may not
support).
         From forum/web, I understand that not many are migrating to JBI is

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Diwakar,

The Apache license is one of the most business friendly open-source
licenses, so you're definitely safe there. You'll find a lot of
background on the Apache license on
http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html - basically, you can
use/fork/redistribute/... Apache ServiceMix 3.x as long as you keep
the LICENSE file (and headers, if you distribute the source) and
somewhere in your manual or documentation mention that your product is
based on Apache ServiceMix.

However, the key element in an Apache project is the community itself,
so let's start working together and see how we can help we can get you
directly involved in ServiceMix as well... ;)

First of all, we would definitely welcome any patches for Apache
ServiceMix 3.x - the more issues we get sorted out, the better.
Secondly, Apache ServiceMix 4.x also comes with JBI support and this
was designed to help people like yourself, who already invested in
JBI, to migrate to the new version without having to recreate your
existing service assemblies.  Almost all our existing JBI components
are compatible with and available in ServiceMix 4.x and we will gladly
help you out with any issues you might encounter there (or point you
in the right direction to get a patch done ;))

Regards,

Gert Vanthienen
------------------------
FuseSource
Web: http://fusesource.com

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Yes, if you keep the Apache license, you can "fork" the code and maintain.
Providing the patches to ASF would be highly appreciated.

Regards
JB

On 06/09/2012 09:51 AM, diwakar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>             >>  as soon as we have enough binding vote, it will be released
>             We may have to maintain Servicemix 3.x atleast for 2-3 years. In
> case we dont have enough binding votes, is it ok to copy the source code to
> our organizations svn repo and do the necessary changes and release it for
> our own use? Are there any license/legal issues in copying code (after EoL).
>             Please let me know your comment.
>
> With Best Regards,
> Diwakar

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Diwakar,

They started to migrate to Camel (some using directly on Karaf, some on
ServiceMix 4, some on Talend ESB). They plan to stop using ServiceMix 3
before the end of the year, but anticipate some delay for the beginning
of the next year.

Regards
JB

On 06/07/2012 10:42 AM, diwakar wrote:
> Hi JB,
>
>                 >>  still in production (in friend companies, etc).
>                 What is the plan of these companies. Are they planning to
> migrate to JBI on Servicemix 4.x or are they migrating to Camel on
> Servicemix 4.x or are they staying with Servicemix 3.x or something else.
>                 Please let us know.
>
> With Best Regards,
> Diwakar

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Diwakar,

On 06/07/2012 06:28 AM, diwakar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>             Thanks for the replies.
>             >>  If some company need it after 3.x EOL, they need fork the
> branch, maintain and release themselves, but it's not from Apache
> Servicemix.
>             The branch is in Apache svn or is it meant that the source code
> has to be copied to our organizations svn?
>             >>  I will continue to maintain (as minimal) SMX3 and JBI
> Component, as it's
> still in production (in friend companies, etc).
>             JB: Will it be released to community even after end of 2012?
>             Please let me know.
>
> With Best Regards,
> Diwakar

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Dan for this clarification.

Freman

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Freeman Fang <fr...@gmail.com>.
Hi JB,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Organization no, but people (with the SMX committership) yes.

I will continue to maintain (as minimal) SMX3 and JBI Component, as it's
still in production (in friend companies, etc).

Regards
JB

On 06/06/2012 09:53 AM, diwakar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>                Thanks for the replies.
>                >>  But they should plan to migrate to 4.x.
>                Migrating to 4.x JBI is not trivial and JBI may not be
> supported in 5.x. So we are planning to get rid of JBI (which takes time).
> We have to survive till then.
>                >>  However, it doesn't mean that we are going to remove the
> svn repo, it means that we won't work on this branch anymore
>                >>  Or have in-house team/knowledge to support/maintain it
>                So, some one from our organization can become active in
> Servicemix 3.x community and still do releases of 3.x.x (only for our
> organization?) by committing changes to the apache svn even after end of
> 2012. Please let me know if this understanding is correct.
>
> With Best Regards,
> Diwakar

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Diwakar,

The EOL will be for the end of 2012, as discussed on the mailing list.

On 06/06/2012 06:09 AM, diwakar wrote:
> Hi,
>
>               >>  Is it possible to have EOL for SMX 3.x in end of 2013?
>               Since there are no replies I assume EOL by end of 2013 is not
> possible.
>               What will happen after EOL? Will the sorce code be still
> available? Will all the maven artifacts be still available? If we, in our
> organization want to maintain Servicemix 3.x, should we copy the source code
> to our svn or can the source code be updated in apache svn (mainly
> dependency updates from security vulnerability pov) ?
>               Please let me know your comment.
>
> With Best Regards,
> Diwakar

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net
Talend - http://www.talend.com

Re: [DISCUSS] ServiceMix 3.x EOL?

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 6:09 AM, diwakar <di...@nsn.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>             >> Is it possible to have EOL for SMX 3.x in end of 2013?
>             Since there are no replies I assume EOL by end of 2013 is not
> possible.
>             What will happen after EOL? Will the sorce code be still
> available? Will all the maven artifacts be still available? If we, in our
> organization want to maintain Servicemix 3.x, should we copy the source code
> to our svn or can the source code be updated in apache svn (mainly
> dependency updates from security vulnerability pov) ?
>             Please let me know your comment.

All the source, downloads, artifacts etc. will stays as is. The repo
is still read/write able.
So you do not have to do anything, its all still there.

The EOL is a message to the community to DO NOT START using SMX 3.x.
Existing users can continue use it as they want. But they should plan
to migrate to 4.x.
Or have in-house team/knowledge to support/maintain it.

And there is commercial vendors who supports their SMX releases for a
much longer period of time.
http://servicemix.apache.org/community/support.html

> With Best Regards,
> Diwakar

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by diwakar <di...@nsn.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Gert Vanthienen <ge...@gmail.com>.
Jean-Baptiste,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
+1 for end of 2012

In that case, what do you think if I prepare a "dependency update"
release (to update CXF, Camel, etc) ?

Regards
JB

On 05/22/2012 12:03 PM, Gert Vanthienen wrote:
> L.S.,
>

> Redirecting diwakar's question into a new thread to separate it from the
> future of ServiceMix discussion.  We have had this pop up a few more times
> now, where we generally recommend people to look at ServiceMix 4 and point
> them towards Camel and CXF directly instead of looking at JBI, but we never
> explicitly decided on when/how to end support for ServiceMix 3.x.  It would
> be a good idea if we could come up with a consensus on a date/final release
> version of ServiceMix 3.x so at least we can start communicating that more
> clearly to our user base.
>
> What do you guys think would be a good EOL scenario for ServiceMix 3.x ?
>   How can we best start communicating this to our users (add warnings to the
> download pages, a blog post, a news item, ...)?
>

> Regards,
>
> Gert Vanthienen
> ------------------------
> FuseSource
> Web: http://fusesource.com
>

> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:51 AM, diwakar<di...@nsn.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>           Thanks for the post Paul.
>>           Will ASF at least maintain Servicemix 3.x with JBI (no need for
>> new feature development)?
>>
>> With Best Regards,
>> Diwakar
>>

>> --