Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Sasori_no_Suna <lo...@free.fr> on 2007/08/10 10:08:48 UTC

a small explanation on rule FORGED_RCVD_HELO

hello all , I want just to know about this rule FORGED_RCVD_HELO what does it
mean ? and  on the result of spamassassin, why I have always that I need
just explanation thank

Re: a small explanation on rule FORGED_RCVD_HELO

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Claude Frantz wrote on Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:11:31 +0200:

> Please note the case of clients connected to the network via NAT and
> using dynamic IP addresses. In the general case, such clients do not
> known about the IP address to which one their local address is
> translated using NAT. Such clients cannot set a correct HELO.

I would guess the rule uses only the last non-trusted received = it
compares the HELO *we* got from it with the rDNS.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

R: a small explanation on rule FORGED_RCVD_HELO

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <g....@libero.it>.

I agree with you. If I'm correctly recalling, this kind of check was first
suggested even in the (in)famous BOTNET plugin and then not implemented even
there. The reason was that most people who legitimately run an MX server
don't have any access to their rDNS records and they would not like to HELO
with something different to the DNS name they assigned to the MX. Actually,
the BOTNET plugin implements a less strict "HELO to IP" and an "IP to rDNS
to DNS" check. Again, if I'm not recalling wrong.

Please note I wrote "the (in)famous BOTNET plugin" just because at the age
there was a lot of debate on it, since mail sent from most small and tiny
service providers would have probably failed at least one of its checks.
Nevertheless, many in this list were endorsing it.

Giampaolo

Re: a small explanation on rule FORGED_RCVD_HELO

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.

Posted by Claude Frantz <cl...@pc0312b.rz.unibw-muenchen.de>.
Matt Kettler wrote:

> It looks for a HELO doesn't match against the reverse DNS for the IP
> address.

Please note the case of clients connected to the network via NAT and
using dynamic IP addresses. In the general case, such clients do not
known about the IP address to which one their local address is
translated using NAT. Such clients cannot set a correct HELO.

Claude

Re: a small explanation on rule FORGED_RCVD_HELO

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Sasori_no_Suna wrote:
> hello all , I want just to know about this rule FORGED_RCVD_HELO what does it
> mean ? and  on the result of spamassassin, why I have always that I need
> just explanation thank

It looks for a HELO doesn't match against the reverse DNS for the IP
address.

However, it should also be noted that this rule is dead. 3.2.0 and
higher no longer include it.

Even in 3.1.x the score of this rule is very small and negligable due to
its high false-positive rate.

RE: a small explanation on rule FORGED_RCVD_HELO

Posted by Sasori_no_Suna <lo...@free.fr>.
more explanation please
:confused:

Posted by Sasori_no_Suna <lo...@free.fr>.