Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Blue Sun <bl...@comcast.net> on 2008/07/03 23:38:28 UTC

OFBiz as a middle-tier framework

Guys,

I am in charge of development for major Linux-based Java language niche
SaaS system in the e-commerce supply-chain domain. It has a wide
customer base, an excellent reputation in the industry, and is growing
steadily.  We are planning to expand it by adding Order Entry,
Inventory, Accounting, and other functions that are documented as
services in OFBiz.  Later, in phase II, we will be adding functionality
like online Catalog, Ordering, and Shopping Cart modules.

I am looking at several solutions, from creating this project from
scratch to using a dependable open-source framework like OFBiz.

We would be integrating the OFBiz functionality behind our own JSP GUI
and a Struts M-V-C presentation tier.   We also use Hibernate and Oracle
10i as our data tier.

We would be moving our application server platform to JBoss when we
build this additional functionality into our system.

I would like to hear the experiences of other developers who have used
OFBiz strictly as a business tier framework and integrated it into a
custom presentation front end and data persistence back end.

How difficult is it to implement only what we will need?

What is the learning curve like?

Is the granularity sufficient that we can use it for the specific
business domain functions we want, and not carry around a lot of
unnecessary code baggage?

How easy is it to modify to fit our own architectural and business models?

How easy is it to integrate specific modules into existing systems?

Any advice, encouragement, or dire warnings would be appreciated.

- Blue Sun
blue.sun@comcast.net

Re: OFBiz as a middle-tier framework

Posted by Ritz123 <ri...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I am currently doing something similar. I am trying to use Wicket as a front
end and Ofbiz at the back for our e-commerce store. Wicket integration (as a
frontend) with Ofbiz becomes especially challenging because of underlying
differences between Wicket as a MVC framework vs. traditional MVC framework.
So it will probably be easier for you to integrate a front end that you want
which is JSP/Struts.

About the backend - There are several components in Ofbiz that you will need
to integrate your front end with.

1. Entity Engine
2. Service Engine/Service code (there are atleast couple of types - java
based and simple language based)
3. Beanshell scripts
4. Possibly integrating Ofbiz filter/request processing with your Front end
framework choice
5. If you are going to "port" some of the "screens" than you will need to
understand Ofbiz UI specific component "screen framework" etc.
6. Data Model

Depending on how deep your integration is, this can take several weeks
easily to understand, sometimes it takes few iterations before you can
understand and come back to rework what you already worked on - so iterative
development(XP) approach would be ideal.

Hope that helps.

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
Yeah,