Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Tim Patton <tp...@dealcatcher.com> on 2005/11/16 17:55:12 UTC

DBCP: validationQuery Problems

I'm using DBCP with the JTDS SQL driver.  I seem to be having a problem
where the validation query is not always running (I assume).  Basically I
have a pool of connections that have sat idle for hours; the server has most
likely shut them down by now.  When I execute an update I get
"java.sql.SQLException: I/O Error: Connection reset by peer: socket write
error".  However, it is my understanding that before returning a connection,
the pool should run the validation query and make sure it still works.  This
does not seem to be the case.  Is there any way to guarantee this runs?  I
have set the validation query to a working, non null value, and I always get
a new connection when executing any SQL, as well as always closing the
connection when I am done.

Tim