Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com> on 2020/10/06 08:34:37 UTC

Bugs and improvement proposals filed for GitHub Actions

Hello everyone,

TL;DR; I've opened recently several tickets to GitHub support (and have
some initial feedback from them) to solve some of the issues we face. I
summarized all such open "GitHub support issues" in this new issue here:
https://github.com/apache/airflow/issues/11294 - feel free to add your own
issues or let me know if you think we miss something, or something can be
improved.

I also linked it to our "Currently we are working on ..." issue.

*Some more context:*

We are relying more and more on GitHub Actions for our CI workflow, and
while the overall impression is rather good (especially comparing to
Travis) there are a number of unnecessary complexities and workarounds
implemented (including custom GitHub Action I created -
https://github.com/marketplace/actions/cancel-workflow-runs ) that adds
missing features that we need there.

*Here is the current snapshot of the issues:*

* Merge button becomes "green" when pending checks have not yet started
This issue is filed by @potiuk as ticket
https://support.github.com/ticket/personal/0/857608. It's been acknowledged
and files as a bug to GitHub Engineering

 * No links between "workflow_run" and the originating workflow
The issue is filed by @potiuk as ticket '
https://support.github.com/ticket/personal/0/859741. Waiting for feedback
from GitHub support.

 * Jobs being often cancelled with 137 error. This seems to happen often .
The issue is filed by @potiuk as
https://support.github.com/ticket/personal/0/857606 . GitHub support
advised us to enable verbose debugging for the project. The JIRA issue is
created https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/INFRA/issues/INFRA-20945 to
enable the debugging. IN progress.

* No native cancelling of the workflows. @potiuk implemented custom "Cancel
Workflow Runs" action that implements that feature
https://github.com/marketplace/actions/cancel-workflow-runs and we are
using it, but it has some limitations when the queue of jobs get really
busy (the cancel step has to be executed in order to perform cancel but
there might be not enough slotsl in the queue). @potiuk opened a ticket for
that: https://support.github.com/ticket/personal/0/859753. Waiting for
answer from GitHub support.

J.