Posted to dev@trafficserver.apache.org by Nishant Gaurav <ng...@linkedin.com> on 2018/08/20 16:49:38 UTC

connection attempts timeout difference b/w GET and POST requests in trafficserver

Hi,

I was trying to debug a crash in trafficserver that happens when a server that only handles POST request goes down. I see that there is a large difference b/w the default value of timeout for GET and POST (and PUT) requests (in seconds).

CONFIG proxy.config.http.connect_attempts_timeout INT 30
CONFIG proxy.config.http.post_connect_attempts_timeout INT 1800

I couldn’t think of a reason why it should be that different. The crash and timeout issues might be completely different, but I just wanted to understand the rationale for keeping it this way.

Regards,
Nishant

Re: connection attempts timeout difference b/w GET and POST requests in trafficserver

Posted by SUSAN HINRICHS <sh...@ieee.org>.
Thanks for nudging.  I was looking into this earlier today, but couldn't
find the email to respond too.

I do not know why there is a separate connection timeout for POST/PUSH vs
the other methods.  But it is indeed still implemented that way.  My guess
is that the difference is due to the fact that until very recently the
conntect timeout was really the TTFB timeout.  And naturally that would be
much higher for large POST requests than for a GET request.

Posted by Nishant Gaurav <ng...@linkedin.com>.