Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org> on 2003/02/05 11:46:57 UTC

xalanc - gcc 3.x required ?

Hi,

I just remembered that when I built from a recent CVS snapshot last week, I had to use gcc3 - my 2.95.3 (SuSE)
complained about something or other. I built with gcc3.2.1 instead - no probs.

I'll check this later today, but if gcc3 /is/ a requirement, shouldn't the config be updated to check for it?

thanks,
Per Jessen, Zurich

Re: xalanc - gcc 3.x required ?

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM wrote:

> Hi Per,
>
> No, I got the same problem you got.  But someone reported you can build if
> you remove -fno-elide-constructors, which isn't necessary with 2.95.3
> anyway.  Weird...
>
> Try it and let us know what happens.

Yep, it builds just fine with gcc2.95.3 without -fno-elide-constructors ... very odd.
Anyway, I've pretty much switched to gcc3.2.1 but as Berin suggested earlier, having
autoconf check for it is probably the way to go.

/Per

Re: xalanc - gcc 3.x required ?

Posted by David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com>.

Hi Per,

No, I got the same problem you got.  But someone reported you can build if
you remove -fno-elide-constructors, which isn't necessary with 2.95.3
anyway.  Weird...

Try it and let us know what happens.

Dave

                      Per Jessen
                      <per@computer.or         To:      xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
                      g>                       cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                      Sent by: news            Subject: Re: xalanc - gcc 3.x required ?
                      <news@main.gmane
                      .org>

                      02/10/2003 04:06
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to xalan-dev

David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM wrote:

> Hi Per,
>
> That's very strange -- it looks like some error inside the STL itself.
> I'll see if I can't get things to build on my gcc 2.95.3.

Hi Dave,

just curious if you did manage to build with gcc 2.95.3 ?

/Per Jessen, Zurich

Re: xalanc - gcc 3.x required ?

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.

Re: xalanc - gcc 3.x required ?

Posted by David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com>.

Hi Per,

That's very strange -- it looks like some error inside the STL itself.
I'll see if I can't get things to build on my gcc 2.95.3.

Dave

                      Per Jessen
                      <per@computer.or         To:      xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
                      g>                       cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                      Sent by: news            Subject: Re: xalanc - gcc 3.x required ?
                      <news@main.gmane
                      .org>

                      02/05/2003 05:34
                      AM
                      Please respond
                      to xalan-dev

Per Jessen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just remembered that when I built from a recent CVS snapshot last
> week, I had to use gcc3 - my 2.95.3 (SuSE)
> complained about something or other. I built with gcc3.2.1 instead - no
> probs.
>
> I'll check this later today, but if gcc3 /is/ a requirement, shouldn't
> the config be updated to check for it?

Looks like it won't build with 2.95.3 -

/usr/bin/g++ -O2 -DNDEBUG      -Wall -fno-elide-constructors -fPIC -DLINUX
-D_REENTRANT  -c -I/home/per/workspace/xml-xalan/c/src
-I/home/per/workspace/xml-xerces/c/src/
-I/home/per/workspace/xml-xerces/c/include/xercesc
-I/home/per/workspace/xml-xerces/c/include/  -o
/home/per/workspace/xml-xalan-20030205052716/c/obj/XalanDOMString.o
/home/per/workspace/xml-xalan/c/src/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/g++/vector:35,
                  from
/home/per/workspace/xml-xalan/c/src/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.hpp:67,
                  from
/home/per/workspace/xml-xalan/c/src/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp:58:
/usr/include/g++/stl_bvector.h: In method
`_Bit_reference::_Bit_reference(const _Bit_reference &)':
/usr/include/g++/stl_bvector.h:98: invalid use of void expression
/usr/include/g++/stl_bvector.h: In method
`_Bit_iterator::_Bit_iterator(const _Bit_iterator &)':
/usr/include/g++/stl_bvector.h:104: invalid use of void expression
/usr/include/g++/stl_bvector.h: In method
`_Bit_const_iterator::_Bit_const_iterator(const _Bit_const_iterator &)':
/usr/include/g++/stl_bvector.h:191: invalid use of void expression
/usr/include/g++/stl_iterator.h: In method
`random_access_iterator_tag::random_access_iterator_tag(const
random_access_iterator_tag &)':
/usr/include/g++/stl_iterator.h:141:   instantiated from
`__iterator_category<const XalanDOMChar *>(const XalanDOMChar *const &)'
/usr/include/g++/stl_vector.h:379:   instantiated from `vector<short
unsigned int,allocator<short unsigned int> >::_M_insert_dispatch<const
XalanDOMChar *>(XalanDOMChar *, const
XalanDOMChar *, const XalanDOMChar *, __false_type)'
/usr/include/g++/stl_vector.h:366:   instantiated from `vector<short
unsigned int,allocator<short unsigned int> >::insert<const XalanDOMChar
*>(XalanDOMChar *, const XalanDOMChar
*, const XalanDOMChar *)'
/home/per/workspace/xml-xalan/c/src/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp:341:
instantiated from here
/usr/include/g++/stl_iterator.h:141: invalid use of void expression
/usr/include/g++/stl_vector.h: In method
`forward_iterator_tag::forward_iterator_tag(const forward_iterator_tag &)':
/usr/include/g++/stl_vector.h:379:   instantiated from `vector<short
unsigned int,allocator<short unsigned int> >::_M_insert_dispatch<const
XalanDOMChar *>(XalanDOMChar *, const
XalanDOMChar *, const XalanDOMChar *, __false_type)'
/usr/include/g++/stl_vector.h:366:   instantiated from `vector<short
unsigned int,allocator<short unsigned int> >::insert<const XalanDOMChar
*>(XalanDOMChar *, const XalanDOMChar
*, const XalanDOMChar *)'
/home/per/workspace/xml-xalan/c/src/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp:341:
instantiated from here
/usr/include/g++/stl_vector.h:379: invalid use of void expression
make: ***
[/home/per/workspace/xml-xalan-20030205052716/c/obj/XalanDOMString.o] Error
1

with 3.2.1 no problems.

/Per Jessen, Zurich

Re: xalanc - gcc 3.x required ?

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
Per Jessen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just remembered that when I built from a recent CVS snapshot last
> week, I had to use gcc3 - my 2.95.3 (SuSE)
> complained about something or other. I built with gcc3.2.1 instead - no
> probs.
>
> I'll check this later today, but if gcc3 /is/ a requirement, shouldn't
> the config be updated to check for it?

Looks like it won't build with 2.95.3 -

/usr/bin/g++ -O2 -DNDEBUG      -Wall -fno-elide-constructors -fPIC -DLINUX -D_REENTRANT  -c -I/home/per/workspace/xml-xalan/c/src -I/home/per/workspace/xml-xerces/c/src/
-I/home/per/workspace/xml-xerces/c/include/xercesc -I/home/per/workspace/xml-xerces/c/include/  -o /home/per/workspace/xml-xalan-20030205052716/c/obj/XalanDOMString.o
/home/per/workspace/xml-xalan/c/src/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp
In file included from /usr/include/g++/vector:35,
                  from /home/per/workspace/xml-xalan/c/src/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.hpp:67,
                  from /home/per/workspace/xml-xalan/c/src/XalanDOM/XalanDOMString.cpp:58:
/usr/include/g++/stl_bvector.h: In method `_Bit_reference::_Bit_reference(const _Bit_reference &)':
/usr/include/g++/stl_bvector.h:98: invalid use of void expression
/usr/include/g++/stl_bvector.h: In method `_Bit_iterator::_Bit_iterator(const _Bit_iterator &)':
/usr/include/g++/stl_bvector.h:104: invalid use of void expression
/usr/include/g++/stl_bvector.h: In method `_Bit_const_iterator::_Bit_const_iterator(const _Bit_const_iterator &)':
/usr/include/g++/stl_bvector.h:191: invalid use of void expression
/usr/include/g++/stl_iterator.h: In method `random_access_iterator_tag::random_access_iterator_tag(const random_access_iterator_tag &)':
/usr/include/g++/stl_iterator.h:141:   instantiated from `__iterator_category<const XalanDOMChar *>(const XalanDOMChar *const &)'
/usr/include/g++/stl_vector.h:379:   instantiated from `vector<short unsigned int,allocator<short unsigned int> >::_M_insert_dispatch<const XalanDOMChar *>(XalanDOMChar *, const
XalanDOMChar *, const XalanDOMChar *, __false_type)'
/usr/include/g++/stl_vector.h:366:   instantiated from `vector<short unsigned int,allocator<short unsigned int> >::insert<const XalanDOMChar *>(XalanDOMChar *, const XalanDOMChar

Re: xalanc - gcc 3.x required ?

Posted by Per Jessen <pe...@computer.org>.
David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM wrote:

> I don't know why 2.95.3. wouldn't work.  I think I have a copy on my
> machine, so I'll give it a shot.  Can you give more details about the
> error?

See my earlier follow-up with an excerpt of the the build-listing.

> By the way, you'll need to add  -fno-elide-constructors as a compiler
> option to the Makefile, if you're not using the latest CVS.  gcc 3.2 and
> above implement the return value optimization, which is messing up Xalan's
> reference counting mechanism.

Hi Dave,

this is the most recent CVS - from early this morning. I see the -fno-elide-constructors
on the compile commands.

/Per

Re: xalanc - gcc 3.x required ?

Posted by David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM <da...@us.ibm.com>.

Hi Per,

I don't know why 2.95.3. wouldn't work.  I think I have a copy on my
machine, so I'll give it a shot.  Can you give more details about the
error?

By the way, you'll need to add  -fno-elide-constructors as a compiler
option to the Makefile, if you're not using the latest CVS.  gcc 3.2 and
above implement the return value optimization, which is messing up Xalan's
reference counting mechanism.

Dave

                      Per Jessen
                      <per@computer.or         To:      xalan-dev@xml.apache.org
                      g>                       cc:      (bcc: David N Bertoni/Cambridge/IBM)
                      Sent by: news            Subject: xalanc - gcc 3.x required ?
                      <news@main.gmane
                      .org>

                      02/05/2003 02:46