Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Jason Harrop <ja...@xn.com.au> on 2002/01/09 16:06:46 UTC

Implementation experience - JDBCDescriptorsStore and firewall

Hi

fwiw, this post records my experiences in setting up Slide in a DMZ,
connecting via the JDBCDescriptorsStore to a database on the other side
of a firewall.

The firewall was Checkpoint Firewall-1 v4.1, and the database was Oracle
8.1.7 (using JDBC thin client driver).

The observed behaviour was that the database connection was being lost
consistently after approximately 2 hours of inactivity / being idle.

We have not been able to work out exactly why this was happening, even
though we explored several possible causes:

1.  resource limits in Oracle - but couldn't find RESOURCE_LIMIT=TRUE in
init.ora
2.  SQLNET's EXPIRE_TIME set, and firewall not allowing Oracle's dead
connection probe packet through.  But EXPIRE_TIME was not set.
3.  tcp_keepalive_interval set or not set in the OS on the database
server.  Decided this probably not relevant.
4.  Firewall-1's TCP_TIMEOUT value.  Can this be set to infinity?

fwiw, i think the major suspect is FW-1's TCP_TIMEOUT, but that's only a
suspicion.

In the end, i had to apply the patch i posted to slide-dev the other day
to work around the issue.

cheers,

Jason